Just one word.....?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
gina2u

Just one word.....?

Post by gina2u »

I was hoping someone could tell me what 'colabardi' means. It comes up as a nickname for someone in the family history (circa 1900's).
Thanks for your time, Gina V.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Just one word.....?

Post by nuccia »

Gina,

Funny but I've never heard of this word! I'm sure someone will be able to help... :D

Nuccia :D
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

gina2u wrote:I was hoping someone could tell me what 'colabardi' means. It comes up as a nickname for someone in the family history (circa 1900's).

Like Nuccia - this was a new word to me too. Despite searching all my reference options and even 'Googling' it - 'zilch'.....
But 'maybe' - by separatting the two parts there just 'maybe' a solution of kinds....

colare (one defenition) = To cast metals.
barda (plural 'bardi') = Horse armour

ergo (possibly): colabardi = a man who casts the metal pieces for a horse's armour or harness.....

Well, if nothing else, it does sound a little romantic!

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

gina2u wrote:I was hoping someone could tell me what 'colabardi' means. It comes up as a nickname for someone in the family history (circa 1900's).

Hi Gina, Colabardi is, most probaly, and second my experience, a dialectal version of COLOPARDI( also exist Collepardi version) surname. Well, in Italy for a same family's surname are always many branches, the various branches are dialectally identified with the last name of the mother; just a exemple and only for exemple:

Gino Rossi have so much sons;
the sons are married;
1 Rossi's son married to a Colopardi woman;
between all Gino Rossi's descendants, they call Colopardi the descendants of family branche Rossi/Colopardi, and in dialect Colopardi become Colabardi for soundex... regards, suanj

PS: however the BARDi ( or Bardo 1 person) in the past time ( middle age and before) was a poets and a singers;
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
gina2u

Post by gina2u »

So far, none of the responses make sense to my family. He came from Sicily in 1905 from San Vito lo Capo. We know he was a fisherman in S.V. and he (Gaspare Vultaggio) married Francesca Cusenza from M.S. Guiliano. Thanks for the possibilities, any others would be welcome...
Gina.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Gina, for to better reply you is necessary that the word is in right italian spelling, and after that you say about sicilian roots, now I searched in sicilian dialect, and I found:

Calabardu/Calabardi, and no Colabardi as you say..

Cala ( from sicilian dialect verb "calari" in italian "calare"= to make to come down/to decrease = it comes down
bardu/bardi ( dialect word in italian secchio)= bucket/buckets

so for a profession abt who make the buckets or who takes water from sink, and similar ancient professions ... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

gina2u wrote:So far, none of the responses make sense to my family. He came from Sicily in 1905 from San Vito lo Capo. We know he was a fisherman in S.V. and he (Gaspare Vultaggio) married Francesca Cusenza from M.S. Guiliano. Thanks for the possibilities, any others would be welcome...
Gina.
a fisherman.. ok.....

I just looked through my dictionary (Cassell's).. and the meaning of colla

Colla n.f. Glue, paste. - di pesce, isinglass....

that's exactly how it is written in the dictionary....

so... now to look up isinglass...

isinglass is a substance obtained from the swimbladders of fish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isinglass

??

it was worth a shot...

Maria