Just one word.....?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Just one word.....?

Postby gina2u » 16 Jun 2006, 21:31

I was hoping someone could tell me what 'colabardi' means. It comes up as a nickname for someone in the family history (circa 1900's).
[b]Thanks for your time, Gina V.
gina2u

Re: Just one word.....?

Postby nuccia » 17 Jun 2006, 07:37

Gina,

Funny but I've never heard of this word! I'm sure someone will be able to help... :D

Nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby elba » 17 Jun 2006, 15:53

gina2u wrote:I was hoping someone could tell me what 'colabardi' means. It comes up as a nickname for someone in the family history (circa 1900's).

Like Nuccia - this was a new word to me too. Despite searching all my reference options and even 'Googling' it - 'zilch'.....
But 'maybe' - by separatting the two parts there just 'maybe' a solution of kinds....

colare (one defenition) = To cast metals.
barda (plural 'bardi') = Horse armour

ergo (possibly): colabardi = a man who casts the metal pieces for a horse's armour or harness.....

Well, if nothing else, it does sound a little romantic!

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 17 Jun 2006, 16:33

gina2u wrote:I was hoping someone could tell me what 'colabardi' means. It comes up as a nickname for someone in the family history (circa 1900's).

Hi Gina, Colabardi is, most probaly, and second my experience, a dialectal version of COLOPARDI( also exist Collepardi version) surname. Well, in Italy for a same family's surname are always many branches, the various branches are dialectally identified with the last name of the mother; just a exemple and only for exemple:

Gino Rossi have so much sons;
the sons are married;
1 Rossi's son married to a Colopardi woman;
between all Gino Rossi's descendants, they call Colopardi the descendants of family branche Rossi/Colopardi, and in dialect Colopardi become Colabardi for soundex... regards, suanj

PS: however the BARDi ( or Bardo 1 person) in the past time ( middle age and before) was a poets and a singers;
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby gina2u » 18 Jun 2006, 10:20

So far, none of the responses make sense to my family. He came from Sicily in 1905 from San Vito lo Capo. We know he was a fisherman in S.V. and he (Gaspare Vultaggio) married Francesca Cusenza from M.S. Guiliano. Thanks for the possibilities, any others would be welcome...
Gina.
gina2u

Postby suanj » 18 Jun 2006, 10:46

Gina, for to better reply you is necessary that the word is in right italian spelling, and after that you say about sicilian roots, now I searched in sicilian dialect, and I found:

Calabardu/Calabardi, and no Colabardi as you say..

Cala ( from sicilian dialect verb "calari" in italian "calare"= to make to come down/to decrease = it comes down
bardu/bardi ( dialect word in italian secchio)= bucket/buckets

so for a profession abt who make the buckets or who takes water from sink, and similar ancient professions ... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby mfjp » 18 Jun 2006, 10:50

gina2u wrote:So far, none of the responses make sense to my family. He came from Sicily in 1905 from San Vito lo Capo. We know he was a fisherman in S.V. and he (Gaspare Vultaggio) married Francesca Cusenza from M.S. Guiliano. Thanks for the possibilities, any others would be welcome...
Gina.

a fisherman.. ok.....

I just looked through my dictionary (Cassell's).. and the meaning of colla

Colla n.f. Glue, paste. - di pesce, isinglass....

that's exactly how it is written in the dictionary....

so... now to look up isinglass...

isinglass is a substance obtained from the swimbladders of fish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isinglass

??

it was worth a shot...

Maria
mfjp
Master
Master

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations