Need some help please, with translation -Birth Acts

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Need some help please, with translation -Birth Acts

Post by suanj »

-On most of the birth acts it says that Domenico states that Maria Giuseppa Fionda -sua moglie ligitima but on the birth act for the second child named Giovanno Battista in 1860 it says: 'e nata da Giuseppa Fionda di anni ventotto e di Domenico di Filippis marito della Maria,(using the magnifying glass it looks like that- could this have been written in place of 'moglie ligitima'?= 2 husband?; or the first husband was by wedding and the second no....

-di anni trenta, professione contadino - does this mean farmer?farmer= contadino

-What does ' come sopra' mean=as above
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

"Sorry about all these questions but the films have to go back next week. '

Emmy,

You can renew the rental on the films & if you do it the third time, the film(s) will stay at your local FHC. Talk to your volunteers, some FHC have restrictions on this (mine doesn't).

ps. I enjoy the learning experience from here too....never liked sit down exams! So glad everyone has patience to answer my dumb questions!

Hugs,
nonna j
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

pps. Sent Nuccia by email the giov birth act.....tried everything I could think of to get good posting image, but couldn't. Hope she has better luck! If not, maybe Maria. She is our pro for image hosting. If you want to try yourself, here is her guide to using Imageshack (this is how I got started).

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2987.html

Don't get discouraged if you have trouble.....When I first started, I'll link images, they would work fine for awhile, then vanish into thin air! :oops: Never did figure out what I was doing wrong. :) :) :)

nonna j
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Suanji
Still a bit confused about the birth act of 1860. It doesnt seem that it is a different father, the only thing is that the word 'Maria' has not been put before Giuseppa, where it states 'e nato da'........
Will have another closer look when I go back next Thursday but many thanks for the other translations and 'Rosa' definately seems more like what the name would be. You're great Suanji
Many thanks
God Bless
Emmy xx

Nonna J.
I'll certainly ask about the films when I go back next week. I will have a go at the link you gave me but I think I'll need to wait until tommorow. I was at the FHC for almost 4 hours today and I think my eyes are beginning to go square shaped. Many thanks to Nuccia too for trying.
Enjoy your break Joyce
Thanks again
God Bless
Emmy xx
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Emmy,

No rush...just thought you would like to try it...maybe able to get clearer images using your photo program.

I will & thanks.

XOXO...
nonna j
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Emmy ...with good images of birthacts all will be more easy, to read and to translate and also no doubts... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi everyone who is helping me,
I think I've solved part of the problems with the birth acts.
On the 1860 'Giovanni' birth act, I have managed to get a clearer image on the computer, then I tried emailing it to myself to see if it would work but it lost quite a bit of the definition. But this is what it says:
'a nata da Guiseppa Fionda di anni vintotto domiciliata in Santelia e de Domenico de Filippis marito legittimo di anni trenta.' It seems that the 'Maria' part of the name has not been put in on this birth act but it is on all the others.
(on the other birth acts the part 'ma moglie legittima' was filled in just after the mother's name.)
Also on the 1853 Giovanni's birth index where I thought the mother's Christian name was Maria Antonia, I made a mistake here because going back to the top of the index whoever filled it in put the mother's Christian names below the bottom line of the row- I checked this with the last entry just to make sure, and the name below Domenica and Fionda is Maria Guiseppa. So it is the same mother and father for all the children.
I'm so sorry for giving everyone a lot of extra work . This is a real learning experience for me and my understanding of the proper Italian language is improving day by day. :lol: I'll be looking for a gold star soon :lol:

BUT I still don't understand why the two sons have been given identical names. Would it have made any difference if one had been named Giovan and one Giovanni? I take it both ways of spelling would still mean John!

Joyce,
I asked about keeping the films longer and you can get an Extended loan or an Indefinate loan but she did say they dont get to keep these films permanently if they have been on an extended loan three times.I'll not get all the details until I go back on Thursday. Just wished I could bring the films home with me, there is so much information about my family on these films I'm afraid of missing something important.

I'm going to double check the spelling of the names on the 1853 and the 1860 birth acts just to be sure.

Many Many Thanks
God Bless All
Emmy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

'a nata da Guiseppa Fionda di anni vintotto domiciliata in Santelia e de Domenico de Filippis marito legittimo di anni trenta.'
---------------------------------------------
è nata da Giuseppa Fionda di anni ventotto domiciliata in Sant'Elia e da Domenico de Filippis marito legittimo di anni trenta.
-----------------------------
it is born at Giuseppa Fionda of 28 old resident in Sant'Elia and from Domenico de Filippis of 30 old, legitimate husband..
-----------------------
about the first name for the sons: Giovan and Giovanni, the first (Giovan) is shorth version of Giovanni, used when are two first name... So could be that abt Giovan, it could be Giovan B. (Giovanni Battista), or Giovan A.(Giovanni Antonio; Giovanni Anselmo), Giovan L.(giovanni Leonardo).. etc...
-------------
regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Many Thanks Suanj
I'll have a real close look at the printing of Giovan's Christian names tomorrow I know they did name another son Giovanni Antonio and another son Tommaso Antonio, so they did use certain names more that once. Will let you know what I find out. But it does look like that it is the same mother and father for all the children.

Many thanks again for helping
God Bless
Emmy xx
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Nuccia, thanks for to post the pictures, the first is about the baptism of Giovambattista Di Filippis, the second is the birth act where the name is Giovambattista; are same name because in the birthact are wrote by handwriting Giovam battista; the Battista name is wrote with little "b" initial, for continuing of Giovam and the spaces is only for handwriting of officer; in italian language never before of "b" and "p" it is possible to write the "n" also if is for a name as Giovanni/Giovan.. it become Giovam..battista for right and fine sound.. kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Whoopee! Emmy does this answer your question?

Suanj Maria and I are trying to set up our msn accounts so we can talk to you on the microphone...I think all of us should PM each other and set something up like this. Webcams and microphones...who needs telephones anymore?

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Nuccia and Suanj
:D That was quick work Nuccia and Suanj,Many many thanks for that detailed explanation xx xx
These names were not from the same birth act.
The first one, image 469, was from the birth act of 1853
and the 2nd image was from the birth act of 1860.
So it seems that both sons were given the same name?? I've never heard of that happening before, especially when the first son with that name was still alive when the 2nd one was given the same name?? :? :?

No wonder you were both given new titles V.I.P well deserved!! because that is what you both are- :) very important people :)
Many thanks again
God Bless
Love and xxxx
Emmy
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Emmy!

But we need to figue this mystery out...was the birth act amended maybe? That's what happened with my greatgrandfather...there must be a logical (or not so logical) explanation somewhere.

Hopefully someone will give us some opinions...

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Nuccia
Birth acts dont seem to be ammended. the only difference is on the first one 1853, at the bottom it gives information about his marriage to Francesca.
On the 1853 act the date of birth is 10th June ad ora quattordici and on this act the fathers age was 23years and mothers age was 24 years
and on the 1860 act the date of birth is 19th April ad ora dodici
fathers age 30years and mothers age 28years so it seems that it is two separate births.
(and when the next son was born in 1862 mother and fathers ages were still the same as in 1860 - 28years and 30years :? ) (this may a good tip about keeping forever young :wink: )

This seems to be an 'odd kettle of fish' :? :? If anyone has any ideas about this problem be glad to hear what you think.

Nuccia have sent you a pm

Thanks again

God Bless
Emmy