Death Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Death Record

Postby scorpione » 10 Jul 2006, 09:59

Has anybody ever read a death record and at the very end where there is a blank for the deceased parents name seen anything else written .If so could you please tell me what the word was.I have had that experience and could not read the word but have seen that very word in the same spot on many other death reports suggesting it is a common word for that spot.Any word you can remember could be the one I am looking for. thanks.
scorpione
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Death Record

Postby brujaojos » 15 Jul 2006, 19:10

scorpione wrote:Has anybody ever read a death record and at the very end where there is a blank for the deceased parents name seen anything else written .If so could you please tell me what the word was.I have had that experience and could not read the word but have seen that very word in the same spot on many other death reports suggesting it is a common word for that spot.Any word you can remember could be the one I am looking for. thanks.

Hi There,

If you can post the record, I probably could tell you what it is. Or if you email me a copy of the document, I can do the same.

Every so many years, the documents changed style and format so I would need to see the document to help you with the translation.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 15 Jul 2006, 19:59

Trish.

Nice to see you posting again. Welcome back!

Joyce
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby scorpione » 15 Jul 2006, 21:16

:D Trish, that's me smiling. Thanks for your kind offer, but I believe we have determined it to be"inquirente" or inquiring. I would appreciate your expert opinion on the following, however. My thought is that since nobody in the town (even the people who reported his death) seem to know anything about the deceased's father while the family was well known in the years following, perhaps the deceased 's father came from another town. As I get closer to 1800 in that village( Pontelatone) the records seem to become fewer. I think I am near a pivotal point where I will find the previous town from which my relatives came . And, seems we took our name from either the town of Caivano near Naples or the hamlet of Caivano near Ruoti(Province of Potenza ) my guess is a search of those towns records will reveal something of interest. Am I making any sense or am on a wild chase? Thanks and welcome back. Joe
scorpione
Rookie
Rookie

Postby brujaojos » 16 Jul 2006, 19:22

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for the welcome back, however, I'm still not back 100%. However, it's nice to know I'm loved and missed. :) :)

Hi Joe,

I re-read your orginial post. If there are blank (empty) spaces for where the names of the parent's should be, then there are several reasons for this.

1. No one knew the names of the parents. This especially happens if the deceased was very old when they died and people of the town just can't remember who the parents are.

2. The deceased was from another town. However, if this is the case, there should be on the document..born in (name of town).

3. Some towns were lazy and just didn't want to fill in the blanks while other towns give so much detail.

Now what you can do is try to find the deceased's Marriage Act. The Marriage Act would state what town he was born in.

You could also look for his Birth Act in the town or in neighboring towns.

Also, look for records of other people with the same surname. They could be siblings or relatives and could lead you to the correct name of the town and/or possible parents of the deceased.

And don't forget, that some people did go by their middle names. I see that a lot when I'm doing research. An example is Francesco Antonio went by the name of Antonio. Sometimes it gets a little confusing.

I hope this helps some. If you have questions, just ask.

Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations