La Guardia Civica di Sicurezza - Need a translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

La Guardia Civica di Sicurezza - Need a translation

Post by Edmondo »

Who can help me to translate the text below? It is taken from a document kept in the State Archive of Salerno.

La Guardia Civica di Sicurezza

Nell`Anno 1806 con I decreti di del 15 maggio e del 21 novembre fu istituita la Guardia Civica Provinciale , distinta in compagnie per ciascun commune avente lo scopo della difesa della proprietà e del mantenimento dell` ordine public.
Di Essa poteva far parte solo chi aveva compiuto I 18 anni di età ed era proprietario iscritto nel ruolo delle contribuzioni, o figlio di proprietario, oppure chi esercitava una professione o un mestiere.
Ogni commune ebbe proporzionalmente alla popolazione un certo numero di Guardie Urbane, che in quelli fino a mille abitanti ascendevano al numero massimo di 40 unitá.
Il loro servizio era gratuito e vi erano obligati: gli impiegati, i proprietari, i capitalisti, i professori di arti liberali, i capi artefici, i maestri di bottega, i coloni (agricoltori che avevano fondi altrui in fitto) ed mancanza di essi gli operai. In ogni commune vi era un capo e un sottocapo delle Guardie Urbane. Tale corpo successivamente fu soppresso, e con decreto del 4 agosto del 1861 fu istituita in tutto il Regno di Napoli che era stato unito al Regno d’Italia, la Guardia Nazionale che prese parte alla repressione del brigantaggio meridionale.
Il commune di Piaggine Sottane, ora Valle dell`Angelo, provide alla formazione della locale Guardia Civica il 30 aprile 1815, in virtù dei decreti emanati inviando l`elenco dei seguenti cittadini armati:

This text is followed by names, ages and occupations.

Thank you in advance!
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: La Guardia Civica di Sicurezza - Need a translation

Post by elba »

I'll do it later this evening or tomorrow morning Edmondo... (Unless someone does it before hand.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Hope this is OK for you....

The Provincial Civic Security Guard

The Provincial Civic Guard (Guardia Civica Provinciale) was established in the year 1806 by the decrees of 15th May and 21st November, these were distinct in companies for each town council having the aim of the defence of property and maintaining public order.

Of these, only those having reached 18 years of age and who were proprietors registered on the contribution list could take part, or the son of a proprietor, or alternatively he who carried out a profession or a job. Every town council had a certain number of Urban Guards (Guardie Urbane) in proportion to its population which in those up to one thousand inhabitants rose to a maximum of forty in number.

Their services were free and they had no choice: the workers, the proprietors, the capitalists, the professors of the liberal arts, the main skilled workmen, the masters of shops, the settlers (farmers who had other peoples land in rent) and if lacking these, then workers. In every commune there was a chief and a deputy chief of the Urban Guards.

The said company was later abolished, and with the decree of 4th August 1861 was set up within the Kingdom of Naples that was united with the Kingdom of Italy, the National Guard took part in the suppression of the southern banditry.

The town council of Piaggine Sottane, now called Valle dell`Angelo, saw to the formation of the local Civic Guard on the 30th April 1815, and with the powers of the issued decrees forwarded the list of the following armed citizens:

If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

Elba, thank you very much for your help.

Edmondo