Birth Certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mhamilton
Rookie
Rookie

Birth Certificate

Post by mhamilton »

Hi,

I've found the birth certificate of one of my ancestors thru the LDS films. It's posted on Flickr at: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 392&size=l

Most of it follows the basic format that I learned for Atti di Nascita so I understand the majority of it. But there's a bit that I don't understand and would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Here's what I do know ... it's for Iganzio SAMMARTINO. He was presented to the official at Roccapalumba in 1877 in April (I don't need the exact date/time).

His father presented him, named Guiseppe SAMMARTINO, I can't read his age nor do I understand the next bit as it doesn't follow the format I know. From where his age is down thru his mother's name Gratzia DI ANGELO and the text after that.

Then I know the next part says he was a boy and his name is Ignazio.

And the rest is the witnesses information.

What does the middle gap say?

Thanks for any help!
- Maria
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Re: Birth Certificate

Post by Sirena »

Hi
To me it looks like his age was trentasette -37. The rest goes on to state the address of the house in which he was born but the print is so small I can't really read it.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

The house is on Via Bagnolo, I can't make out the number.
mhamilton
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mhamilton »

Ah thank you :) Does the part immediately after the name of his mother say anything of note? Before the witnesses?

I've uploaded a new version of the image with the section of the house and the mother's name enlarged a lot. It's awfully blurry and hard to read. I tried to sharpen it a bit.

Its: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 316&size=l

Thank you!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Ignazio was born on April 17th, 1877 in via Cagnolo 11 Roccapalumba (Palermo province), he was son of Giuseppe Sammartino (aged 37) and Grazia D'Angelo. Grazia was single.
mhamilton
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mhamilton »

Oh! Thank you. Does that mean she had Ignazio out of wedlock? That Giuseppe and Grazia were not married?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

mhamilton wrote:Oh! Thank you. Does that mean she had Ignazio out of wedlock? That Giuseppe and Grazia were not married?
Yes, Grazia and Giuseppe were not married.
mhamilton
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mhamilton »

Thanks very much Livio!