Passport: what is written part about father please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Passport: what is written part about father please

Postby daveferro » 24 Sep 2007, 00:55

This passport from 1896 lists the mother and children who came back from a visit to Italy without the father. We are not sure of the written part referring to the father. I have been told that the father told the mother to let the boy eat only wheat bread. So the father was alive, when one translation might be that he is deceased.

The other passport (May 1896) is for the man, Nervino Francesco Antonio, who is listed in the Italian records (thanks, Essgee!) as marrying Ciarla Antonia Maria, but on the passport above, Dec 1896, it is Pietro.

Also, what is the convention for the names? Is the first name Francesco and the middle, Antonio when it is written Nervino Francesco Antonio or is his first name Antonio (first son in above passport named after maternal grandfather; second son named Antonio).

Thanks,

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Passport: what is written part about father please

Postby liviomoreno » 24 Sep 2007, 06:18

All surnames are in bold

The first passport was delivered on Nov. 7th, 1896 to Maria Antonia Ciarla, daughter of Raffaele, who is going to New York, together with her daughters Maria Incoronata Nervino (aged 11) and Maria Concetta Nervino (aged 8) and his son Raffaele Nervino (aged 5), to join her husband Pietro Nervino.

The second passport was delivered on April 1st, 1896 to Francescantonio Nervino son of Ignoto who is going to New York to find a job.

The name on the second passport is Francescantonio (one word), and I wouldn't be surprised that Antonia Maria is a different person from Maria Antonia...
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby daveferro » 24 Sep 2007, 07:16

Livio,

So the last line after the children's names and ages...could you post the words in Italian and English? We thought that is what it meant but can't make out the words.

Also for Francescantonio, on the marriage papers, the names are separate, so the confusion. I am curious about what it says after "New York (America)" and the last lines on his passport, after "dietro N-O-del" something "di Ripabottoni"

The Atti and Pubblicazioni are in the genealogy forum under Ciarla/Ciarlo by bsnclr. Essgee found these and we are still in awe.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5457/scanvs8.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9347/scan1oc0.jpg

The grandmother went by Antonia, not Maria, and the daughters names all begin with Maria: Maria Incoronata, Maria Concetta, except Camilla who was born here.

Thank you...

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby liviomoreno » 24 Sep 2007, 08:47

....Raffaele di anni 5 a raggiungere il rispettivo marito e padre Nervino Pietro.

....Raffaele aged 5 to join their respective husband and father Nervino Pietro.

... che si reca a New York (america) in cerca di lavoro.

... who goes to New York (america) seeking for a job.

N.O. stands for Nulla Osta = No impediment
dietro N.O del sindaco di Ripabottoni = with the agreement of the mayor of Ripabottoni.

On the left side of the passport you an read that Francescantonio was 33 years old in 1896.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby daveferro » 24 Sep 2007, 18:55

Livio,

Wonderful...now it makes sense and we've learned new words and phrases too! That N.O. really had me. Also might mean this was his first voyage; the manifest said he was going to Providence, RI and essgee said many from Ripabottoni went there. Yet we have the wedding papers...and the baptismal certificates say Pietro is the father. Ah, more searching to do.

For Antonia and the children it was a return trip. When they first came to NYC is still unknown but I have some clues at Castle Garden.

The relatives will be very happy when I show them your post.

Many many thanks,

Dave
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations