help with letter

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
8 posts • Page 1 of 1

help with letter

Postby davidlatour » 15 Dec 2007, 20:30

I'm trying to write a letter requesting my great-grandfather's birth certificate from Italy. I was directed to a site that generated a form letter, but I wanted to make a few changes to it. Instead of saying that I need the certificate to find relatives in Italy, I want it to say that I need the documents to apply for citizenship. Also, I want to mention that they can contact me via e-mail.

One last thing. I'm pretty confident he was born on September 29, 1888, so that should probably be mentioned rather than just 1888.

Thanks for the help!

[hr]

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo -------, ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto. Cerco informazioni sul mio bisnonno, Francesco Campaniello. Nato nel comune di Vieste. Cerco questi dati per conoscere meglio la mia famiglia, e per trovare i miei parenti rimasti in Italia.
Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi l'estratto dell'atto di nascita di Francesco Campaniello, in carta libera. Nato nel 1888. Sposato Rosaria Ferraro nel 1911.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificati.

Distinti saluti,

------
davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

Re: help with letter

Postby peggymckee » 15 Dec 2007, 23:30

You can say "Cerco questi dati per poter fare domanda per la doppia cittadinanza." (I seek this information in order to apply for dual citizenship.) "E' nato il 29 settembre 1888" (He was born Sept 29, 1888).
Ha sposato (He married).
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Postby davidlatour » 15 Dec 2007, 23:52

Thank you!

Here is the letter I will be sending to Vieste. Does anyone with experience have an suggestions? And should I say they can contact me via e-mail?

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo David LaTour, ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto. Cerco informazioni sul mio bisnonno, Francesco Campaniello. Nato nel comune di Vieste. Cerco questi dati per poter fare domanda per la doppia cittadinanza..

Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi l'estratto dell'atto di nascita di Francesco Campaniello. E' nato il 29 settembre 1888. Ha sposato Rosaria Ferraro nel 1911.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificati.

Distinti saluti,

David LaTour
Surnames: Campaniello - Ferraro - Paliano - Basile - Benvenuto - Rigieri
davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

Postby peggymckee » 16 Dec 2007, 00:34

I didn't say that in my letter (because I didn't think of it) but I had my Email address as part of my "indirizzo sopradetto" (address mentioned above). One comune Emailed me so say the certificates were on the way the other didn't. But both sent them very promptly.

My Italian is elementary and I'm not quite sure how to say what you have in mind regarding Email since I think it involves formal imperative tense.

Good luck, Peggy M
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Postby pink67 » 16 Dec 2007, 10:41

davidlatour wrote:Thank you!

Here is the letter I will be sending to Vieste. Does anyone with experience have an suggestions? And should I say they can contact me via e-mail?

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo David LaTour, ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto. Cerco informazioni sul mio bisnonno, Francesco Campaniello. Nato nel comune di Vieste. Cerco questi dati per poter fare domanda per la doppia cittadinanza..

Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi l'estratto dell'atto di nascita di Francesco Campaniello. E' nato il 29 settembre 1888. Ha sposato Rosaria Ferraro nel 1911.

Desidero comunicarVi inoltre, per qualsiasi evenienza, il mio indirizzo e-mail: ............
Distinti saluti,

David LaTour

And you can write you e-mail also in your address....
Good luck!!!
Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Postby davidlatour » 17 Dec 2007, 02:03

Thanks so much for all your help!

I also need to send a letter to Calabria requesting my great-grandmother, Rosaria Ferraro's, birth certificate. Could someone repost that same letter, but with the changes needed for my great-grandmother? (feminine gender changes, etc.)

Thanks again!
Surnames: Campaniello - Ferraro - Paliano - Basile - Benvenuto - Rigieri
davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

Postby PeterTimber » 17 Dec 2007, 03:23

You can go to www.mangeruca.com for form letter in Italian language which you can alter to meet your needs. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby peggymckee » 17 Dec 2007, 03:27

sul mio bisnonno --> su mia bisnonna
nato --> nata (2 occurances)

If you know her parents' names:
Suoi genitori erano ____ e ___. (Her parents were ___ and ___)

Good luck,Peg
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations