How do you tell a potential relative why you are looking?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How do you tell a potential relative why you are looking

Post by johnlabarbera »

I actually have a Sicilian friend in town, he lives in Venezuela but is working here in town for a while, he was born and raised in Sicily. I will likely get him to get with me one day and we will make some phone calls. But I thought sending the letter first might give them a reference point. His last name is Rizzo if anyone is researching that surname!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear John if you go to google.com and insert inthe title Rizzo genealogy (you can add the town in italy that the name relates to in case there is specific research for Ruizzo in that town) and anyone researching the surname Rizzo will show up. Lots of luck in your researches....=Peter=
bousejg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bousejg »

I haven't written any letters yet to Italy and just read all the comments on this subject. I'll take every one of the suggestions into consideration and then use my own judgement in writing to Italy. I do have one ?. Can I send a letter in English or do I have to have it translated in Italian?
Gloria Freemon
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Post by johnlabarbera »

Everything I have read and heard says to give it a try in Italian if you want to increase your chances of getting a response. I guess it depends on where you are writing to as well and what you are requesting.

Check out this website:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

and

http://www.mangeruca.com/letters.htm
bousejg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bousejg »

Here's a switch. I received a letter from Italy asking me if I was related. I never sent this person a letter. I haven't sent any letters yet to Italy so I was surprised to received this letter out of the blue. AND it was written in English. I did write back to her telling her she was not related but would like to keep in touch. I have not heard back from her yet. And there was no money in my letter and no intention to claim my land:):).
Gloria Freemon