Translation help please!! Italian birth records....

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Translation help please!! Italian birth records....

Post by Biff83 »

jodilee wrote:That is all I have, this record....gives me Ermengildos brother??? and possibly a father to Domenico?????
I believe there are two Domenico's mentioned on the document:
One, the father of Leandro; the other, a witness. If my take on the age of the witness Domenico Cantoni is correct as 20 years, he could not be Leandro's father.

Perhaps someone else can take a look to verify or change what I'm seeing.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

The names of family and witnesses appear to be the same as you've written above; however. to me, the date of the marriage seems to be Anno Domino 1852, 23 Dic. --December 23, 1852 AD.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

Do you think the second Domenic-- the witness-- could be a cousin around the grooms age? It says son of Vincent.....maybe he's the brother of the groom's father?
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

www.catholic.archives.nd.edu

Has a Latin phrase & word translator........might help a little.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Sirena wrote:Do you think the second Domenic-- the witness-- could be a cousin around the grooms age? Is says son of but I can't read the name.
Could be a cousin. I believe it says he's the son of Vincenti (Vincenzo).

Biff
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

I think you're correct, Biff, I just noticed it myself as Vincent.
jodilee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jodilee »

Thank you all so much for your valuable insight. And thanks for the LDS site listed above. I'll look into that right after I get this posted.

I had to step back and write it all out by hand.....lol. I am then to understand that Leandro (abt 183????) is the brother of my Ermenegildo Maria Giuseppe Cantoni ,18 Nov 1832..........and share parents Domenico Cantoni & Anna Maria Bruschi. Then the 20yr old Domenico may be the son of the above Domenicos brother Vincenzo.

Thats a mouthful..............

I have no idea how to post better pics. Mine open in paint shop photo and I can zoom in on them but I cant real them..........

I'm hoping eventually to fine more family in the rest of the documents.

Thanks ever so much all................Jodi
Researching: CANTONI, KAHRS, LEVATI, RAFFA, DORST, HUFNAGEL, BRUSCHI, RUSH, FERRARI, CARUSO, VELCAMP, BAER, BERNAUER, DEROGATIS, KLEIN, LARSEN, YARROW, MEOLA, POND, RAUCHWERGER,RIEBOLDT,WASSMER, WISE
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

If the birth acts of Leandro and Ermenegildo show the same parents and the approximate birth years of the parents match, they're likely brothers.

Whether the witness Domenico's father Vincenzo is Leandro's father's brother cannot be determined without documentation.

Biff
jodilee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jodilee »

I sat here last night and tried to decipher these documents one sloppy word at a time and I'm telling you its not fun. Nor did I get anywhere. If I didn't spell the work correctly I recieved no response from the program. I found that quite amusing as I actually expected a machine to know better. Made for a great laugh though.....ha ha There has to be a better way to read these papers. I cropped one of them that made it easier to read but then again I'm stuck on how to post it. I have it in a file but that obviously doesn't work that way, cause I'm an idiot...lol. I have verizon and tried to find my free web space through that but yeah..... ha ha again. This is so frustrating. Anyway, headed to NJ archives this morning for just an hour and then I have to move a few dressers for my mother, the race is to see whose back gives out first....lol. Have a great day all and if you have a few minutes please advise on how to post better photos of said documents and where to host them.......thanks so much.......JO
Researching: CANTONI, KAHRS, LEVATI, RAFFA, DORST, HUFNAGEL, BRUSCHI, RUSH, FERRARI, CARUSO, VELCAMP, BAER, BERNAUER, DEROGATIS, KLEIN, LARSEN, YARROW, MEOLA, POND, RAUCHWERGER,RIEBOLDT,WASSMER, WISE
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Jodilee,

Let me know how you make out in the NJ Archives. I have wanted to go, but just can't bring myself to make the trip to Trenton!!!!
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Jo,

For documents in Latin, this will help if you can decipher the handwriting.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... LLatin.asp

Biff
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Biff83 wrote:Jodilee,

I'm not sure but there are two other names on the marriage document. Possible witnesses? If so, I read them as:

Domenico Cantoni, son of Vincenti (Vincenzo), 20 years
Virgilio Capelli, son of Petri (Pietro), 55 years

Livio,

Can you check also?

Biff
Biff, the witness is Domenico Contini
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Thanks to the expert Luca, following is the Latin transcription of all documents:

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8204 ... ni3in7.jpg
Anno Domini 1852 die 23 Novembris.
Ego infrascriptus in matrimonium Junxi et in missa ... factis tribus synodalibus publicationibus Leandrum Cantoni ex ... ... aetatis annorum vigintiduo filium Dominici, et Bruschi (o Braschi) Anna Mariae, et Magdalenam Belli ex hac paroecia aetate annorum decemnovem filiam Aloisii et Mariae Bauli, praesentibus testibus Dominico Contini filio quondam Vincentii aetate annorum vigintiduo, et Virgilio Cappelli filio quondam Petri, aetate annorum quinquagintaquinque ambobus ex hac Parochie. Ferrarini Maximus Archipresbiter.

1852, Nov 23
Groom Leandro Cantoni 22y, son of Domenico and Anna Maria Bruschi (or Braschi)
Bride Maddalena Belli 19y, daughter of Luigi (Alois) and Maria Bauli
Witnesses Domenico Contini 20y son of the late Vincenzo and Virgilio Cappelli 55y son of the late Pietro.
Priest: Massimo Ferrarini

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/876/brcantoniww8.jpg
Anno Domini 1885 die 25 Martii.
Cantoni Guglielmum vigintiquatuor annorum aetatis filium Ermenegildo et Ferrari Eurasiae, et Milazzo Ernestinam viginti annos natam filiam Aloisii et Cuomo Albinae, ambos ex hac Paroecia, praemissis tribus synodalibus denunciationibus habita licentia superioris Ecclesiastici pro tempore quarigesimalis in matrimonium junxi, coram ... testibus Ziliali Antonis Maria quondam Jacobo, et Benedicti Angelo quondam Hyacincti ambobus ex hac Paroecia.
Xaverius Del Bono Archipresbiter.

1885, Mar 25
Groom Guglielmo Cantoni 24y, son of Ermenegildo and Eurasia Ferrari
Bride Ernestina Milazzo 20y, daughter of Luigi (Alois) and Albina Cuomo
Witnesses Antonio Maria Ziliali son of the late Giacomo and Angelo Benedicti son of the late Giacinto.
Priest: Saverio Del Bono

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3291 ... ni2la0.jpg
Anno Domini 1885 die 8 Januaris
Cantoni Ciprianum vigintitrium annorum aetate filium Laurentii et Minori Apolloniae ex Paroecia Sanzuli, et Gandini Pupillam vigintitres annos natam filiam Cajetani et Mazzini quondam Eurosiae, praemissis tribus synodalibus denunciationibus in matrimonium junxi et in missa ..., coram duobus testibus Ziliali Antonis Maria quondam Jacobi et Bonicchi Petro quondam Hyacincti ambobus ex hac Paroecia.

1885, Jan 8
Groom Cipriano Cantoni 24y, son of Lorenzo and Apollonia Minori
Bride Pupilla Gandini 23y, daughter of Gaetano and Eurasia Mazzini
Witnesses Antonio Maria Ziliali son of the late Giacomo and Pietro Bonicchi son of the late Giacinto.

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1613 ... ni1ae6.jpg
Anno Domini 1885 die 16 Martii
Cantoni Eduardum trigintaquatuor annorum aetate filium Caroli et quondam Sandri Teresiae, et Ferrari Annam triginta annos natam filiam Ferdinandi et quondam Vacca Dominicae, ambos ex hac Paroecia, praemissis tribus synodalibus denunciationibus, habita licentia superioris Ecclesiastici pro tempore quadragesimalis in matrimonium junxi, coram duobus testibus Ziliali Antonis Maria quondam Jacobi, et Battali Virgilio quondam Iosephi. Ambobus ex hac Paroecia.

1885, Mar 16
Groom Edoardo Cantoni 34y, son of Carlo and late Teresa Sandri
Bride Anna Ferrari 30y, daughter of Ferdinando and the late Domenica Vacca
Witnesses Antonio Maria Ziliali son of the late Giacomo and Virgilio Battali son of the late Giuseppe.

Edited to correct the Names that are now in bold.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

liviomoreno wrote: Biff, the witness is Domenico Contini
Livio,

Thanks for checking and correcting. That was a really bad error on my part.

My apologies, Jo, for causing confusion.

Biff
jodilee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jodilee »

So sorry I haven't checked the site. I have been so busy with family the last few days. Thank you so much for the translations. I haven't had a chance to read them through yet but will get to them in just a few days. I truely appreciate your time and effort.

Blessings.............Jodi