Request for Integral Birth Act

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Veritas

Request for Integral Birth Act

Post by Veritas »

Can someone please confirm that by requesting an integral birth act for an ancestor the document will include the names of the parents as well? Also, if anyone could assist me by providing the appropriate phrasing of this request in Italian, it would be very helpful.

If I am requesting an integral birth act, would it be appropriate to also request the names of any siblings in the same letter, or must this be requested in a separate letter? Again, I would appreciate some assistance in phrasing this request as well.

My ancestor was either born in Olmo, San Giacomo Filippo, Sondrio or Chiavenna, Sondrio. I have the following addresses:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di San Giacomo Filippo
23020 SAN GIACOMO FILIPPO SO
ITALY

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Bertacchi, 2
CAP 23022
Chiavenna (SO)
Italy

Are these the correct addresses that I should send my letters to?

I really appreciate the help!
Veritas
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Request for Integral Birth Act

Post by elba »

Your letters should be addressed like this:

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di San Giacomo Filippo
23020 SAN GIACOMO FILIPPO (SO)
ITALY

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Chiavenna
Piazza Bertacchi, 2
23022 CHIAVENNA (SO)
Italy

Olmo and San Giacomo Filippo are very small towns near to Chiavenna. All three are in the PROVINCE of Sondrio, but Sondrio is about 40 miles away.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I think the best approach is to ask for no more than one or two birth acts per letter. Also, you must have the exact year of birth. The date would be even better. Most communes will not search beyond a year for you (in my experience). Instead of a copy of a birth extract ask for "una copia integrale dell'atto di nascita." One word of advice, even if you explicitly ask for the integral act, they do not always issue you one. Sometimes you still get the extract and have to go back to the well.

The integral act should include the names of the parents and usually the age and occupation of the father, names of witnesses and their ages and occupations, the hour and day of birth, the address of the place of birth, and sometimes the names of grandfathers and/or great grandfathers.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Veritas

Post by Veritas »

Thank you both for your help! I think that I will ask for una copia integrale dell'atto di nascita only, since I only have the possible birth year and there are two spelling variants for both the surname and given name that I must include in my request.

Hopefully it is enough to find my ancestor's birth information!

Veritas