Rosario...Maufa? What's this name look like?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Rosario...Maufa? What's this name look like?

Post by warriorrabbit »

Thanks to help in another thread, having found the manifest means I now get to try to locate who they were here to see. If I had the name right, that is.

I tried Rosario Maufa and that didn't work, but it could also be...Masufa? Marufa? Marifa?

Any edumacated guesses?

http://www.describe.org/genstuff/maufa.jpg
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Rosario...Maufa? What's this name look like?

Post by liviomoreno »

Manzù (with an accent on the final u), you may also see it as Manzu'
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

First I too thought it was Manzú but reading four lines lower there is the name Stefano where a similar looking character for sure is an F.

It will be easier to compare characters when you post a picture of the complete document.
Tandem fit surculus arbor
dvaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dvaccaro »

my guess is Manfrè. a common name in my family tree. where was Rosario from?
~ Santa Ninfa, Trapani, Sicily ~
~ San Nicola da Crissa, Catanzaro, Italy ~
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

Hi,

Yes, I think it is Manfre. Pink67 has suggested that in the thread that lead to finding the name, and I think that's correct.

Originally I was looking for records for Domenico Dovico. He was listed as Cusino Dovico Dco on the manifest, which was transcribed by Ellis and Ancestry in the most creative ways...impossible to find had I not had a date for his arrival, and Pink67's masterful assistance.

Anyhow, Domenico Dovico and Rosa Zodda were from Gioiosa Marea, and heading to see Rosario Manfre. I have found Rosario Manfre in Ellis in 1898 and 1906. He is also from Gioiosa Marea. It looks like the first time he was going to see cousin Attilio Barbera. The second time he's a non-immigrant alien, going to see his brother Salvatore.