Help translating response from Catanzaro Archives

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Brusatto

Help translating response from Catanzaro Archives

Post by Brusatto »

I received this in response to a letter requesting information on my father in a foundling home in Sorbo San Basile. I would very much appreciate help translating it.
Oggetto: Richiesta, notizie su Ascanio Brusasti, Celli Di Giuseppe, 1896.
In esito alla Sua richiesta, Le cummunichiamo, che questo Instituto conserva i registri dello "Stato Civile"(Nati, matriimoni, e morti) di tutti i communi delle province di Catanzaro, di Crotone, e di Vibo Valentia, dal 1809 al 1865; per avere notizie deve rivolgersi al commune di nascita.
Inoltre la ricerca e stata effettuata sui registri del fondo Militare del Distretto di Cantanzaro; dagli anni 1896; non e stato travato il nominativo di cui all' oggetto.
Many thanks, Joann
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: Help translating response from Catanzaro Archives

Post by Poipuo4 »

ROUGHLY translated: In response to your request, we say to you that this Institute preserves the registries of the Civil State (birth, marriage, death) for all of the towns of the provinces of Cantanzaro, Crotone, and Vibo Valentia, from 1809 to 1865, to have information you ought to address the town of birth. Moreover, the request was carried out on the registries of the Military District of Cantanzaro; of the years 1896; the name of your subject was not found.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Julo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Julo »

I wonder if your info is correct. If I understand correctly your father was born in Sorbo San Basile, but that is a very small mountain village and I have doubts there was a foundling home there. Also, you give two names: Ascanio Brusasti and Celli Di Giuseppe which sound kind of unusual. Are you sure about the spelling? The first name doesn't sound like a calabrian name at all and on the second one I must assume that Giuseppe is the first name because Celli is not. Unless like I said, you have written them wrong.
Maybe it should read as Ascanio Brusasti, CELIBE (wich means single in Italian) di Giuseppe (of Joseph, which would be his father).
Need to clarify if you want to get some correct info from Catanzaro.
Brusatto

Post by Brusatto »

Julo, I actuallydid post the names correctly-what you see is the Catanzaro Archives own translation of what I wrote. I share your doubts about a Foundling Home in Sorbo. I must find another way to get info. Thanks for your help.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

The LDS has microfilms covering the years 1809-1910 for Sorbo San Basile. There are birth, death marriages etc. Here is the link...

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... ato+civile++

Find a Family History Center (FHC) near you.....
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Go in an order the films you want to view....cost is about $5.50 per film and takes about 4 weeks to receive. You should be able to find the information you're looking for. The foundling will still have a birth act registered in the comune of Sorbo San Basile if that's where he was actually born.

Hope this helps
Elizabeth
Brusatto

Post by Brusatto »

I have studied the Sorbo San Basile records over and over and cannot find a birth record with his name. Are there separate records for foundlings or is it likely he was not born there? I found records for his "Parents" and their other children and other family members, but not him. Could he have been the child of one of their relatives. Still does not explain the Ascanio Brusati name which is not a family name. Or maybe it was used to cover up a family name? I ask myself many questions. Thank you for your help. I will still keep searching. Joann
corvino

Post by corvino »

Dear Brusatto,

Are you still interested in this? If so, I have your info.

Regards,

Michael
corvino3@yahoo.com