translate request...

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

translate request...

Postby dianamite » 06 Jun 2008, 20:36

this is the letter my grandfather, Antonio, wrote to have my grandmother come here to America to marry him after his 1st wife died. I don't think i need the whole letter translated, as it contains "legaleze". II apologize that it is *very* hard to read, the back is bleeding thru the front, etc. and it was folded for a long while and then my aunt applied tape and laminated it :(... it is very yellowed, so didn't scan well at all. Any "personal" info you can give and/or the two locations mentioned (Luparia & Castellino Del Biferno) - which one did she live in, etc. would be much appreciated.
Ciao
dianamite

Re: translate request...

Postby Sirena » 08 Jun 2008, 14:15

On June 14, 1920 in Loraine, Ohio, USA your grandfather wrote this petition to have Maria malia (?) Fortunata come to the US. He promises to provide for all her expenses and anything she needs. He was born and raised in Castellino de Biferno but was living in the US due to work. She was 24 at the time, born in Lupara and was currently residing in Castellino de Biferno.
There is one word that confuses me because before her name, it states "Nipote" which would mean his niece or grandchild". Maybe someone in Italy could check it a little more for you.
PS The names on the back are the witnesses to the act.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Postby dianamite » 08 Jun 2008, 16:00

the niece (?) part makes somewhat sense. Just the other day I found out that Achilles Bucci (listed as father, was actually her adopted? father. He married a Maria Michele Ferrante who was the grandaughter of Antonio's great-grandfather. This Maria Ferrante would be Antonio's great-great-niece. (???) So his great-niece helped raise his future wife. I wish i could find Maria's birth certificate. She was born out of wedlock - her mother's name was Angelina Tomasella, and her "real" father is supposed to be David Lembo. ... shoot, i need to post this in the genealogy section, lol.... to make things more confusing - the 3-page letter i posted for translation was from Maria's brother - and his last name on the envelope is Quaresima!! 5 names for my grandmother to figure out.

my head spins sometimes!!

Thank you *very* much for your response.
Ciao
dianamite

Postby Sirena » 08 Jun 2008, 20:56

Wow! That really is confusing! Have you looked at the FHC films for her birth certificate? Good Luck!
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Postby dianamite » 08 Jun 2008, 21:02

the only research i've done is on the computer... i have searched on the FHC site... no luck

i appreciate the "good luck" wishes
:wink:
Ciao
dianamite

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations