Need Help With Names on Marriage Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jestes
Rookie
Rookie

Need Help With Names on Marriage Record

Post by jestes »

The groom is Giovanni Castronovo. I'm not sure but his father's name looks like the latin form of William. His mother's name looks like Paula Sedita (a relatively common last name in this area).

The bride is Melchiora Lo Scalzo. Her mother looks like Vincenza Terranova. Can anyone tell what her father's name is? Maybe the tail of the "e" in Paule above is confusing me.

Thanks,
John
Attachments
m1842-2-2.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Need Help With Names on Marriage Record

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I'm no expert on Latin names but I would say that his name is Saverio (Latin Saverii).

The groom's father is Gugliemo (or the Latin spelling may translate to Guilermo here?). His mother is Paola (Paulus) Sedita. Someone else might confirm/edit.

Angela
jestes
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jestes »

Thanks, I think you are right. "Guglielmo" seems to be the Italian spelling and "Guillermo" would be Spanish.

John
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

jestes wrote:Thanks, I think you are right. "Guglielmo" seems to be the Italian spelling and "Guillermo" would be Spanish.

John
Happy to help. That's really interesting about Giulermo being the Spanish spelling because my understanding is that the Spanish for William was a name which sounds like "Gishermo". (We have a lot of South Americans where I live and my son's friend's father is from Colombia and he said his name "Gishermo" translated to William? - as of course does the Italian name Guglielmo). Interesting. I'll have to look into this a bit more.

Angela :D
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

It depends on the way south-americans pronounce the Spanish letter "ll" (yes, it's considered a "letter").
Spanish pronounce it as an intermediate between Italian "gl" and "j" (try listening some words by Google Translator, for instance "aglio" or "coniglio"); South Americans pronounce it something like Russian "Ž" (I tried listening to surname "Žhukov"); so it may sound more like "Gishermo"
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you for your input, Pippo. It makes good sense.
Angela