What is it like?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

What is it like?

Postby fredoniapeaches » 13 Aug 2008, 14:17

My family (for the most part) comes from the Roccaromano area in Caserta. I've seen a few picures on line, and looked at a few website that have the statistics about the area, but what is it really like? what are the people like? what do people there do for to make a living, for entertainment? what is the food there like? are they all a bunch of quiet homebodies, or do people all get together for parties and celebrations...

I will someday visit there. but before i get the opportunity, I just really want to learn everything i can about the area and it's people and customs.

any help from you wonderful people in Italy would be of great help!!

grazie malto!!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: What is it like?

Postby PeterTimber » 13 Aug 2008, 21:22

Dear Upstate country cousin...They are very italian and do and say exactly what people in Fredonia say to one another and invite relatives to baptisms, name days (more people are now celebratingbirthdays in Italy). holidays, shop and have fender benders, argue and smile just like home the only real deifference besides the language is physical appearance, dress and the architecture of the homes and buildings and gthe cops look different but do what cops do in any town.. give out tickets and park in no park zones. =Peter=

fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

Postby fredoniapeaches » 14 Aug 2008, 13:41

well, thank you Peter. but, um...I'm not from the country. I'm suburban. just outside of Buffalo.

would anyone on here know of any good local recipes, native to the caserta area...I mean...I grew up with my father's cooking...but he grew up with his granmother (from Roccaromana) who ...*gasp* hated cooking!! and according to my great aunt Mary, she remembers her mother refusing to cook!! so where my father and then myself, got our abilities...i have no idea. I make great Italian food, but i have no idea if my style reflects that of my heritage!! it's good, and we enjoy it...but i would love some recipes...can't find any online, that are specific to this area.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 14 Aug 2008, 14:38

Dear Fredoniapeach....Anything OUTSIDE of NYC is country!!.. I mean I live in the Hudson River and my streets are made of wood!!

Now for your recipes from Roccaromana..Go to www.campania.indettaglio.it/eng/gastron ... nomia.html

This site will five you a broad view of the region and Caserta and roccaromana.

Lei sa leggere e scrivere in Italiano? Ha studiato Italiano in Fredonia? =Peter=

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Poipuo4 » 15 Aug 2008, 14:45

Have you searched for Roccamorano on www.youtube.com ? I found some nice footage of my ancestral town of Paduli (BN). It is worth a try.

Peter: LOL. I used to have the same feeling when I lived in Ffld. County; everything outside of the metro-NY sphere was the sticks.

Fredonia: This is not entirely on point, and not meant to be a cheap plug for my website, but if you check out www.celenzaheritage.com it gives you an idea of a slice of life in that small town in the province of Foggia. See the link for "Our visits." You can also look at www.paduli-in-america.net
Scrool all the way down to the absolute bottom of the page and click on "preface." It gives you a nice summary of my friend's first visit to the town. A friend of mine runs that site. Mind you, Paduli is in Campania, but the province of Benevento. I also have some links on my links page to other Italian town sites that are of a similar ilk. I do not believe any are of Casserta. Again, these are to give you a general idea of life in smallish southern towns. Also, if you do read or write Italian, as Peter has asked, I have some Italian language recipes from Paduli I could scan for you.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia

fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

Postby fredoniapeaches » 15 Aug 2008, 17:48

Oh thank you! that would be wonderful! and yes, I do speak/read some italian. aside from what my father spoke in the house, and what I learned while working in an italian restaurant for years, where the owners were from Italy... I took Italian in school as well.

and Peter...thank you for the website!!

Return to “Locations in Italy”