fondi italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
dmh520

fondi italy

Postby dmh520 » 01 Oct 2008, 12:54

Hi can somebody help... When I have done a search for Fondi italy it comes up as Lazio region, Province of Latina...
but I have also found it listed as part of the province of Caserta and some of my grandfather's records list Fondi, Caserta as his place of birth..
I am confused about the two listings- can anybldoy clarify this for me?
thanks
dee

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: fondi italy

Postby liviomoreno » 01 Oct 2008, 14:05

Fondi belonged to the province if Caserta. In 1934 a new province was established, with the name of Littoria. In 1946 Littoria changed the name and became Latina, so now Fondi belongs to the province of Latina.

dmh520

Postby dmh520 » 01 Oct 2008, 14:19

:) Thank you so much! I just starting writing to request birth and marriage records and wanted to make sure I was sending them to right place... I received the birth record of my grand mother born 1908 but not my grand father born 1892 so I thought maybe I had sent it to the wrong place....

bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bonval » 09 Nov 2008, 11:20

We have family and friends in Fondi... my husband grew up in Itri, next town over. Fondi is a wonderful town with great shops and a fantastic piazza! We go often to sit, relax, drink espresso, and listen to strolling musicians. Many of the civil records were kept for Fondi in Itri.... they are available on the FHC microfilms. Many were destroyed unfortunately when bombed in WWII and then later the city hall suffered damage in a fire. Many still exist though.

dmh520

Postby dmh520 » 09 Nov 2008, 12:52

bonval wrote:We have family and friends in Fondi... my husband grew up in Itri, next town over. Fondi is a wonderful town with great shops and a fantastic piazza! We go often to sit, relax, drink espresso, and listen to strolling musicians. Many of the civil records were kept for Fondi in Itri.... they are available on the FHC microfilms. Many were destroyed unfortunately when bombed in WWII and then later the city hall suffered damage in a fire. Many still exist though.
Thanks so much. I had heard that some records were lost due to WWll bombing...I didn't know about the city hall fire...that could be why I am not having any luck with my grandfather's birth records...
My father was there in the latre 80's and said he stopped at the police station to try to locate current family members . He said they had an index card listing of all the members of my family (Magnarella) and when they left Fondi for the US. Do you know how I could find out if they still have this index there and how I could get a copy of it?

bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bonval » 10 Nov 2008, 01:47

I am not sure if that system is still in place but would imagine they have the original stuff - although it may not have been updated - that is usually the case! due to family considerations (elderly parents, jobs) we will not be able to travel overseas for another year or two but am so anxious to visit again ourselves. All of the family is still in Italy so it becomes a heart tug for us!

NonnaLou

Postby NonnaLou » 05 Sep 2010, 14:33

Here is a New Website (in English)
all about the historic town of FONDI, in Latina, Lazio, Italy.

Perhaps you may find it of interest:

FONDI : http://fondi.shapcott-family.com
I am researching these surnames in Atina, Frosinone:
Leonardi, Del Prete, Rossi, Farina, Salvia, Bracciale, Tortolani, Di Fiore, Pesce, Massa, Capogrossi, Rolfi

Return to “Locations in Italy”