Jewish background of Caivano

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
scorpione
Rookie
Rookie

Jewish background of Caivano

Postby scorpione » 27 Dec 2008, 05:23

While travelling in Italy,three different curators at three different museums,told me since my name is Caivano,I might well be Jewish. Why would this be true if it is? Thanks

nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Jewish background of Caivano

Postby nazca » 27 Dec 2008, 09:48

Hi and happy new year,

Surname Caivano is tipical in Campania and Basilicata regions (south italy). There are two possible origin : the town of Caivano near Napoli (Neaples) in Campania or the ancient latin name (Cluvanius) of the Calvanico town near, Salerno (Campania Region). There are a lot of Claviano people in Picerno town, province of Potenza (Basilicata Region).
It is possible some jewish people take the surname from the town where they lived....

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 27 Dec 2008, 14:52

Caivano is a listed Jewish surname of the current 20th century list of Jewish surnames in Italy. =Peter=

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 27 Dec 2008, 15:52

This is an older thread you might be interested in.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =7794.html

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 27 Dec 2008, 16:14

There is no caivano listed in the sephardic record but exists for the pre ww11 epoch. =Peter=

Return to “Locations in Italy”