San Siocco Di Puglia??

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Beantown

San Siocco Di Puglia??

Post by Beantown »

Help...

I found a divorce record in Boston, MA for my Great Great Grandparents. It says they were married in 1889 at "San Siocco Di Puglia in the Kingdom of Italy".

Does anyone have any idea where that is? Is it a formerly known as town? Is it perhaps a translation spelling error?

Thank you.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: San Siocco Di Puglia??

Post by PeterTimber »

are your folks of sicilian origin? =Peter=
~Peter~
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

Thank you for your reply Peter. Although this particular family name (Vaccaro) is very prominent in Sicily the family has always said he was from Avellino or San Severo (which might explain "San Siocco Di Puglia").

Is there a particular reason you ask if my folks are of Sicilian origin?? Any ideas?

I do have some Sicilian family but they are on a completely different line of my family tree.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

I seriously wonder if "San Sossio Barona" was the town written on the document as "San Siocco Di Puglia".

"The city of San Sossio Baronia is located ...province of Avellino and the border with the region of Puglia". It looks like just a couple miles from "Anzano di Puglia", "San Agata di Puglia",...(on the other side of the border).

It looks like I'm sending a letter to that commune and spending some time researching the history of the town and region.