Palermo City, Sicily

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

Palermo City, Sicily

Post by HughTornabene »

I have completed the transcription of the marriage record index for the City of Palermo in Sicily.
It can be seen at

http://sites.google.com/site/palermomarriages/

It is somewhat roughcaste, with a good number of OCR errors.
However this database is enormous, and if you have any connections into Palermo in the time period 1820 to 1895, it will very likely provide useful information.

Hugh Tornabene htinusa@aol.com
nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Palermo City, Sicily

Post by nazca »

Hi Hugh,

great great job !!!

greetinf from Palermo

Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hi Hugh!

Amazing! Wonderful of you to take the time to create this - certainly a valuable resource for so many individuals!!!

Enjoy your day,
Sophia
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Wonderful undertaking Hugh! An invaluable resource for those working with Palermo. We have so few online primary source records and indexes for Italy, I get really exited when I see something like this.

Great job!!!

Jim
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HughTornabene »

Hello Jim and companions
and thank you for your encouraging response.
My dream is to complete the set of three indexes for Palermo. Marriages, Births and Deaths 1820 to 1895 (+ Births only, to 1905).
All the basic information has already been type written and published by those energetic Palermitani, its a matter of digitizing it which is no minor matter.
After that, with a little basic sorting, a COMPLETE set of all family trees for anyone living in Palermo for pretty much the whole 19th century could be easily extracted.
Which would be a first for any sizeable city anywhere, ever.
The major barrier is the time it is taking me. I am over a year already on the Marriage database which still has some rough patches.
The other two databases are substantially larger. Marriages is always the smallest.
I am hoping that ancestry.com will pick up on it, with it's transcribing clout.
So far they did the A's and half the B's for a ten year period of Baptisms and are crowing about it. What a joke.
Hugh
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi Hugh......I am currently working on a site of nothing but genealogy links for those new to research.......would love to include your great site!!
For a sneak peek at the yet unfinished project:

http://ancestralpaths.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

I'm a firm believer in free resources for genealogy!!
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HughTornabene »

Sure Lee, go right ahead.
Hugh
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Thanks!! The more resources we have, the better.....
The dedication of those transcribing records and making them available to all is amazing.....you all deserve special recognition!! :D
I am in complete awe of your efforts!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Tonal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tonal »

The file is too large for me to see it.
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HughTornabene »

Hi Tonal,
As you say, the files are very large.
The same information, in smaller pieces, may be found at my other site

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... index8.htm

There the files are in TEXT (.txt) format and also have been subdivided.

The advantage of the very large EXCEL (.xls) files is that they can be sorted in many ways.

Hugh Tornabene
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HughTornabene »

Hi Vincenzo,
I hope this message buzzes you and you get to see it.
You might well have been the first visitor to my Palermo Marriages site, from Palermo itself.
Which is very heart warming for me.
I watch my visitors, reported each morning from the day before, on Google Analytics.
I now have a trickle of visitors from Italy, Palermo and Catania mainly.
Visitors from USA are easily the most numerous, followed at a distant second by visitors from Australia, with Italy coming in third.
A few from all over South America and the rest of Europe and Asia.
It's fun seeing where all-over, Sicilians and those with Sicilian interests have gone.
Hugh
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Hugh,
i visit your site with great pleasure and all my friends and members of IG must known the wonderful job you have done. I hope you'll visit Palermo, one time. I'll be there (i hope).

Kind regards

Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Mr Hugh Tornabene your reputation for scholarship precedes you and I am pleased to make your acquaintance.

I want to advise you of the approximately 150 families researched in Palermo church records by name which may be of interest to you amongst your other notable achievements. =Peter=
~Peter~
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hugh,

I am really looking forward to checking out your site. As stated by the others, I am a firm believer in free resources for genealogy.

I know James has been copying records since 2003 or earlier and has been my personal inspiration. I have also chosen to input my data into excel but I have not published it as of yet since I am still working on births. Perhaps one day I will.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HughTornabene »

Hello Nuccia,
Good to hear from you, and that you have a data-base for us, on the way.

I hope you are not put off by the chatter of OCR errors which plague my data-base. My only excuse being that for a such a large data-base its worth it.

I took the opportunity, since I wanted to tell you about it, of looking at the results from Google Analytics, which I use to monitor my sites. This is so as to let you know what works in having people visit your forthcoming data-base site.

Only 5% of my visitors arrive from a search engine. 30% come direct, from folks who already know the site address. 65%, the majority, come from referals of other sites. 3 mainly; many from this site, half as many from http://cariniexchange.org/comune.html and four times as many from http://sersale.org/comunes.htm

Watching the visitor statistics is fun and I think it well worth publishing even a half complete data-base to derive the encouragment from them

Hugh