Raimondi ?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
garyyarg

Raimondi ?

Postby garyyarg » 09 Jul 2009, 03:54

I am trying to determine the birthplace of an Italian immigrant who is listed as the father of a deceased in Kentucky, USA and his place of birth is listed as "Raymondi" . State death certificates are often completed a close relative regardless the literacy of the individual. The closest spelling I can equate this to is Raimondi. Can someone verify this as a place name in Italy and provide me the civil division where I might obtain records?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Gary

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Raimondi ?

Postby pink67 » 10 Jul 2009, 10:24

Hi Gary,

you can check this helpful site:

Italian towns:
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/comuni/comuni.html

Italian villages:
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/frazio ... oni_r.html

Between the Villages (fractions or hamlets of towns) there are these:

Raimondi ( Emilia-Romagna, Piacenza, Ponte dell`Olio )
Raimondi ( Liguria, Savona, Casanova Lerrone )
Raimondi ( Piemonte, Torino, Cumiana )

Are you sure about the spelling?

Laura

garyyarg

Postby garyyarg » 11 Jul 2009, 03:46

Laura, Thanks for your response. The spelling is a guesstimate. The death certificate has the birthplace for Joe Dell (Americanization of an Italian name which at present we do not know) as RAYONDI, ITALY. In looking for location names that might be close, we came up with Raimondi. I am currently trying to locate any naturalization records, believing that they will contain more accurate information regarding the birth name and location. The information that the family has access to is very limited and much of what we now know has been derived from public records in Kentucky. The family has a date of entry "we believe", and the fact that the ancestors name spelling was changed when he entered the US. They think that it might have been Joseph Del DelVechhio or something similar, but the name does not show up in port of entry records that we have examined.
If you have any thoughts on how to pursue this I'd love to know them. I'm doing this for a friend and have had some success in tracking down information on Italian ancestry of my son-in-law, so I'm not a complete novice. I've worked on American genealogies for over 25 years.
Thanks again!
Gary

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 11 Jul 2009, 18:42

Their are three variations of Raimondo (attached names to Raimondo) at www.nonsolocap.it which is fairly close to Raimondi (raymondi). Go to the website and put in Raimondo, click CERCA and the three variations will emerge. I think this is worthy of your consideration. =Peter=
~Peter~

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 13 Jul 2009, 10:20

Gary,
you're welcome...
(if Joe Dell was married with Bertie/Birdie and his first son was Otis)
from 1920 and 1930 census it seems he did emigrate between 1908 and 1910....
Do you have his exact date of birth? Have you found his World War I Draft Registration card?

Laura

Return to “Locations in Italy”