Italian military hero

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
bpilko

Italian military hero

Postby bpilko » 10 Nov 2009, 04:15

I am researching the Tontis of Forli del Sannio, IS, and came across this article on the town website on Maggiore Ulrico Tonti, a town hero. My reading of this is that he was the son of Filippo and Teresina Capalozza. Is it odd that he would have a different last name from his parents? There were many Tonti families in the town. I wonder if anyone could provide some insight.

http://www.forlidelsannio.net/eroi.htm
Maggiore Ulrico Tonti
Medaglia d’oro al valor militare (prima guerra mondiale 1915-1918). Figlio di Filippo e di Teresina Capalozza, nasce il 23 maggio 1877 a Forlì del Sannio. Dopo la licenza liceale conseguita a Napoli all’Istituto “Vittorio Emanueleâ€

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Italian military hero

Postby liviomoreno » 10 Nov 2009, 06:08

[quote=bpilko]Is it odd that he would have a different last name from his parents?[/quote]
He has the same last name, Tonti.

Maggiore Ulrico Tonti ... Figlio di Filippo e di Teresina Capalozza = Major UlricoTonti ... son of Filippo (Tonti) and Teresina Capalozza.

Capalozza is Teresina's maiden name

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Nov 2009, 11:42

To add to livio's comment, note that (even today) Italian women always maintain their maiden name; their legal name does not change after marriage as it typically does in the US.

In legal documents (such as birth certificates), a child is typically referred to as:

SMITH JOHN, paternita' WILLIAM maternita' JONES MARY
SMITH SUSAN, paternita' WILLIAM maternita' JONES MARY

John and Susan Smith's father was William Smith, their mother was Mary Jones.

Informally:

John Smith, figlio di (son of) William and Mary Jones
Susan Smith, figlia di (daughter of) William and Mary Jones

In all cases, it is understood by all that the father's surname is the same as the child's.

bpilko

Postby bpilko » 10 Nov 2009, 13:26

Livio & Johnny, thanks so much. I have just begun deciphering hand written birth certificates from the LDS microfilm, and this will clearly help.

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 10 Nov 2009, 17:49

His rests are kept at Salonicco Italian military cemetery

Nome: ULRICO
Cognome: TONTI
Data di Nascita: 23/1/1887
Luogo di Nascita: FORLI' DEL SANNIO
Luogo Sepoltura: SALONICCO - CIMITERO MILITARE ITALIANO
Data Decesso: 9/5/1917
Luogo Decesso: -

I hope this helps
bye Riccardo

[quote="bpilko"]I am researching the Tontis of Forli del Sannio, IS, and came across this article on the town website on Maggiore Ulrico Tonti, a town hero. My reading of this is that he was the son of Filippo and Teresina Capalozza. Is it odd that he would have a different last name from his parents? There were many Tonti families in the town. I wonder if anyone could provide some insight.

http://www.forlidelsannio.net/eroi.htm
Maggiore Ulrico Tonti
Medaglia d’oro al valor militare (prima guerra mondiale 1915-1918). Figlio di Filippo e di Teresina Capalozza, nasce il 23 maggio 1877 a Forlì del Sannio. Dopo la licenza liceale conseguita a Napoli all’Istituto “Vittorio Emanueleâ€

Return to “Locations in Italy”