Which Castelfranco?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Mack

Which Castelfranco?

Postby Mack » 01 May 2010, 16:25

In 1898, my great-grandmother reported that she was from Castelfranco. She did not state which one. Since she sailed from Genoa, I assume that she was from either Castelfranco Veneto or Castelfranco Emelia. I am now trying to guess which one would be the more likely. Here's my question: In 1898, would someone be more likely to say just "Castelfranco" if she were from "C-Veneto" vs. from "C-Emelia"? I realize this may be an impossible question to answer, but I still would appreciate comments from anyone who might have already experienced this dilemma or might be aware of the custom at the time.

juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Which Castelfranco?

Postby juanminbar » 01 May 2010, 16:56

post grandma's name and see if the room can assist you.

j

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 May 2010, 18:08

I hate to bring this up, but besides the two comuni you mention, there are also several frazioni (neighborhood within/near a larger comune) which may also come into play. It was not terribly unusual for people to name their frazione as Last Residence or Place of Birth.

"Castelfranco" comuni:

[align=center]Castelfranco di Sopra
Castelfranco di Sotto
Castelfranco Emilia
Castelfranco in Miscano
Castelfranco Veneto[/align]

"Castelfranco" frazioni:

[align=center]Frazione - Comune

Castelfranco - Rogno
Castelfranco - Pietralunga
Castelfranco - Rieti
Castelfranco - Montecastrilli
Castelfranco d'Oglio - Drizzona[/align]

And, just for kickers,

[align=center]Comune di Castelfranci
frazione Castelfranci Scalo - Comune di Castelfranci[/align]
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 01 May 2010, 19:53

Sometines you can track down the location by the person's last name. That's why juan asked you to post the last name. (Or better yet the ship's manifest, if you have it.) :lol:

Mack

Postby Mack » 01 May 2010, 21:19

Many thanks to the repliers to my questions. In reply to you: Great-grandmother's name: DOMINICANGELA TARTAGLIA, 27 yo in 1898. Traveled with 5yo daughter ADELORATA (my grandmother). Dominicangela married GAETANO PICCIANO in Italy around 1892. Gaetano preceded Dominicangela and Adelorata to America by about 5 years. Last residence for Dominicangela was stated on ship's passenger list as "Castelfranco." They apparently were sailing with ICUMANOLA MARUCCHELLA (no relation to my knowledge) age 37 and her children, also from Castelfranco. There are words jammed in above the word "Castelfranco" that I cannot make out (I attempted to attach a jpg file showing that line, but I keep getting an error message for all my attempts.). They sailed from Genoa. Therefore, I would expect the last residence to have been in northern Italy. If the "Castelfranco" were in the southern half (e.g., "C-miscano"), I would expect them to have boarded in Naples. Regarding one of the replies, I've searched by name coupled with place using numerous strategies and came up with no relevant "hits" thus far.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 May 2010, 21:26

The Italian telephone directory can be helpful: http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

This site http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/ is also helpful for a quick overview of where a name is present in modern Italy.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 02 May 2010, 05:41

Mack try to upload the manifest to imageshack and post the link here...

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 02 May 2010, 13:30

For everyone's reference, the 1898 manifest
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0011

from ancestry. com
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3273/1898f.jpg

The words above Castelfranco probably belong to the line above:
'Civitella Messer Raimondo' (Chieti, Abruzzo)

Valarie

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 02 May 2010, 16:43

Valarie is correct about the words above to Castelfranco, they are part of the name of the town 'Civitella Messer Raimondo' (Chieti, Abruzzo).

Unfortunately I could not find any additional clue to identify the correct Castelfranco.

BtW the correct spelling is Addolorata and she was 6 yo.

Mack

Postby Mack » 02 May 2010, 19:21

Many, many thanks, everyone, for all your helpful and informative replies. Drawing the correct spelling of Addolorata to my attention is particularly welcome. There have been numerous variations in the spelling of my grandmother's name. No one in the family has been sure up to now which spelling was correct. Unfortunately, she died unexpectedly at a rather young age, so she herself could not offer clarification. I am still in the process of mapping the locations of the various Castelfrancos. It seems rather like trying to figure out which state for someone who has said he is from "Middletown USA" (there are about 15 of those).

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 02 May 2010, 19:29

Mack,
If you have any other names that you need to sort out, here are a few sites for Italian 1st names
Valarie

http://web.archive.org/web/200711100041 ... ename.html

http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/ita.php

http://www.nomix.it/700a.php

common & rare 1st names

Mack

Postby Mack » 02 May 2010, 19:44

New query for Liviomoreno: Noticing that you identify yourself as being in Rome, Italy, perhaps you can shed some light on one of my relatives in particular. His name is ACHILLES D'ANGELO. His home was in Rome. He was I suppose what could be termed a faith healer, stargazer, and/or fortune teller. He had quite a following among the first generation Italian-American community in the New York City area. I remember him from the 1950s. My mother remembers him also from earlier. People would gather on the lawn of a relative with whom he stayed to listen to that old man with a long beard dressed in a long white robe. He died probably around the 1960s-70s time period. I have never been able to find out anything about how he was regarded in Italy. Have you heard of him? Of course, he is not the same person as the Achille D'Angelo known for certain healing practices today.

uantiti
Elite
Elite

Postby uantiti » 02 May 2010, 19:57

The ship sailed from Genoa but stopped in Naples as many people listed on the manifest are from Southern Italian towns. On the White pages I found the surnames Picciano, Tartaglia and Lippiello (daughters of the other lady) in the province of Benevento (BN) and there is a Castelfranco In Miscano in the province of Benevento.
In addition, Picciano and Lippiello are Southern surnames.

Ada

Mack

Postby Mack » 02 May 2010, 20:00

VJ - I have bookmarked the websites. Thank you. My grandmother was "Dolores" in official records. Now I know why. The first website that you listed indeed shows that "Dolores" is equivalent to "Addolorata."

Mack

Postby Mack » 02 May 2010, 20:27

Uantiti - Your reply offers much food for thought. Yes, I noticed that passengers boarded in Naples after Genoa. My g-grandmother and g-mother were in that group of pages for those who boarded in Genoa. However, vague family recollection has it that my g-grandfather Gaetano Picciano may have been born in Naples. 1900 US census records show that he arrived in USA in 1892, that is, five or six years before his wife Dominicangela Tartaglia and 6-yr old daughter. However, I have not found any record of his passage. The same census record shows that Gaetano and Dominicangela were married in 1892, and D's 1898 manifest does name G as her husband. Which leads to these questions: (1) If D was from the north, and G was from the south, how did they meet? and (2) If D was also from the south, for example Castelfranco Miscano, why did she board in Genoa and not Naples? Gaetano's parents never came to America, but I have their names (Vicenzo Picciano and Mastropietra Nunzia). However, I haven't even begun to research them yet.

Return to “Locations in Italy”