San Demetrio Corone

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.

San Demetrio Corone

Postby masterchef » 17 Aug 2010, 18:34

All my Liguori ancestors came from San Demetrio Corone, Calabria, Italy.
In a search to connect with possible relatives there, I've written to any email connected to the town. I've written to St Andrian College ( in San Demetrio) officials and staff; town officials, business, individuals asking them advice on how I might connect with Surnames Liguori, Loricchio, Marchiano, and more. The town is small, these people know many if not all residents, yet I can't get one response. Is it lack of interest in genealogy; distrust of inquiries or some other reason, no one will at least acknowledge an inquiry. What is the best way to get a message to the town's residents, a well used local website, local newpapers or some other method.

Re: San Demetrio Corone

Postby Tessa78 » 18 Aug 2010, 20:26

Hello masterchef! Welcome :-)

There are currently 18 "Liguori" listed in the Italian Phone book in San Demetrio Corone, Cosenza, Calabria. You might consider writing to one, some or all of them.... ... &om=0&td=2

Here is a link to help with a letter in Italian to a possible relative... ... #relatives

Re: San Demetrio Corone

Postby Italysearcher » 19 Aug 2010, 06:13

I have done a far bit of research looking for living relatives and unless the person still alive remembers the family that left Italy they are not usually responsive. Most Italians can give you 3 generations backwards and sideways and forwards without taking a breath but beyond that ......not much interest.
You also need to examine your motives for wanting to contact them, especially if you don't speak Italian. Will you be writing to them? Inviting them to visit you in America? If you just want to add them to your family tree they won't be interested for sure. When your ancestors left they also left any inheritance of land behind, the share of which has surely been absorbed by those left behind. If they think you might be wanting to reclaim your 'heritage' they won't be interested in hearing from you either.
If you really want to find relatives you need to go in person to the town and present yourself. If its a small town they will ten fall over themselves trying to be related to 'the Americans'.
I took a client to Calabria a few years ago and she told me her Grandparents were both 'only children' so there would be no relatives. We found two 90-year olds one of which was living in the house where her Grandmother was born. Everyone in this tiny 'frazione' wanted in on the action. It was a priceless experience even for me.
Ann Tatangelo
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. ... ly/7731505

Return to “Locations in Italy”