looking for my dad

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
justme77

looking for my dad

Postby justme77 » 21 Oct 2010, 09:07

hi all,
i am new here.
i am searching for my dad. i have an adress (25 years old), and i am trying to find out more about him.
but its very hard,because i cant speak any italian.
so did someone of you know,where i can find a registry office or something like that in avellino? and is it possible to contact them in other languages?
or any other tips for my search?
i dont know very much about him,but i wanted. maybe i can meet him one day.
thank you

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: looking for my dad

Postby johnnyonthespot » 21 Oct 2010, 10:06

Hello and welcome!

Were you born in Italy? If not, then where?

Does your birth certificate name your father? Or, more simply, do you know his full name? If you do, then you can try looking him up in the Italian telephone directory: http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

If you can share a little more detail, we will find it easier to offer suggestions.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

justme77

Postby justme77 » 21 Oct 2010, 10:25

i looked in the telephone directory, but no one with the known adress.
i dont know if he is still there. but i cant call people in italy without any italian speaking,can i? what should i say: are you my dad?
well,its very hard.

i was born in germany. he was born in montoro,italy.
the judge ordered paternity test 1980. he really is it.
i was adopted from the husband of my mum,i have a letter,that my dad nerver replied to letters from the youth welfare office (in case of the adoption).
i know his name,his birthdate,and a 25 year old adress.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 21 Oct 2010, 10:50

We have three members here who can probably offer the best advice; they are "ricbru", "suanj", and "liviomoreno".

You don't say how old he might be, but one thought which comes to mind is that he may be deceased. If so, the Ufficio dello Stato Civile (Office of Civil Status) in Montoro can be expected to know about it -- actually, there are two different comuni in Avellino, Montoro Inferiore and Montoro Superiore which you need to look into.

Stato Civile would possibly (certainly?) have a current address for him if he is living, however I expect that Italian privacy laws would forbid them from giving out that information.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

justme77

Postby justme77 » 21 Oct 2010, 10:58

he is born 1946,so he must be 64. i hope he is still alive.

i have searched the internet,but i stucked at the italien sites.
i dont understand one word.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 21 Oct 2010, 13:05

your dad recognized you by judge sentence? He give the paternity? you had the italian surname and after you was adopted from your mum husband?
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

justme77

Postby justme77 » 21 Oct 2010, 15:53

my dad knowed my mum was pregnant.i have found a letter from him to my mum,but i dont understand it,and cant even read it,so i dont know if he was happy at this moment or not( the date on the letter is 7 days before my birth).
yes he gave the paternity(he had to).
i got my mothers name,before i was adopted by my "new dad" , never had the name from my dad.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 21 Oct 2010, 16:05

If you can prove, by a your certificate, that you are the son of this italian man, you can write in Montoro asking the "stato civile" of this man; I say so, because that are data under privacy law( your dad was born in 1946), but the direct descendent can obtain infos by the italian Commune... because you know that it are 2 Montoro towns in Avellino province, by name street you can know the right Montoro....
if this way is no right for you, you can only writing to all people with same surname in the right Montoro, a letter in italian language( we can help), asking infos abt this man, without to say nothing abt this delicate matter... maybe someone can reply; it is a last hope....
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

justme77

Postby justme77 » 21 Oct 2010, 16:22

oh wow...
i hoped it would be a bit easier.
i have a german document from the court. its from the adoption,and in this document it says,that the paternity was ordered,and it was proven. after that my dad never replied to any other adoption ducuments.
so i have to let this document i have translate to italian,to go on with that,or will it work with the german document?

i dont know if he is still in italy. i heard he was married,but i dont know if that is true.

maybe he is somewhere else in italy... i cant write a letter to all persons with that name,or can i ?

hard thing,oh well...

but its great to get so much help in here
i hope you can understand my english,its not that good.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 21 Oct 2010, 16:35

If in this document appearing the full name of your dad ( and DOB), the italian translation of this document must be drafted by a notary, and after you can send it in Montoro; if the Montoro civil records officer accept the document as a prove of paternity, you will obtain the Montoro reply with the data abt your dad..
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

justme77

Postby justme77 » 21 Oct 2010, 16:41

oh my...
i truly thought i will ask for help,and the next person said: yes i know him,he is my neighbour...
bad dream. :(

ok,so my first step is the translation of this document.its all in,full name,date of birth and the last adress.
when i got it,i will be back here,to ask for next step.

thanks again

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 21 Oct 2010, 18:52

justme77
but before of that, it is better that you think abt the possibility that your dad wish not that you find it; maybe he have family and wish no contact... it is a bad possibility but it is possible that... he never replied also abt the adoption... so maybe wished no contact....

you can also to search in facebook abt some people of Montoro, and ask abt your dad, saying that he was a good friend of your parents(!)...
in my experience the better "chance" in similar cases, it was always to search a helpful expedient.. and "to gamble" on the surprise by a expedient...
so by that the people have no the helpful time of to think and normally replying .... saying what you wish know....

justme77, personally, I think that this italian man is, yes, your biological father, but he is no a real father in the spirit, because he never interested...
however if you wish search it, now you know that is no easy....
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 21 Oct 2010, 18:54

I believe you will have to have a certified copy of the original document (the court should be able to issue a new one) and you will need to have an Apostille attached to this document. You will then need a certified translation into Italian. After that is done, you take the original document with the Apostille and the certified translation to your nearest Italian consulate or embassy to have the documents "legalized". Now you can send them to Montoro (after you determine which is the correct Montoro).

Hopefully Raffaella (suanj) can confirm what I just said.
Carmine

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 21 Oct 2010, 19:03

yes you said very well! Ciao Carmine!
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 23 Oct 2010, 17:55

If you know his name, his last name and his place and date of birth, you can request his birth abstract, and his certificate of legal resident, you can request them specifying you are the daughter and you are looking for him. the certificate of his legal resident, stating the address of where he lives, may cost you about € 15 euros, also to your request, you must add the photocopy of your ID, because vital statistic want to know who is doing that kind of request.
I can say that because I have experienced these kind of events a couple of times, finding the people were looked for
bye Riccardo

justme77 wrote:hi all,
i am new here.
i am searching for my dad. i have an adress (25 years old), and i am trying to find out more about him.
but its very hard,because i cant speak any italian.
so did someone of you know,where i can find a registry office or something like that in avellino? and is it possible to contact them in other languages?
or any other tips for my search?
i dont know very much about him,but i wanted. maybe i can meet him one day.
thank you

Return to “Locations in Italy”