Cacurri Calabria??

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
wfwriter

Cacurri Calabria??

Post by wfwriter »

Hello all,

My great-grandmother Theresa Drago Calvi came from a place called Cacurri Calabria, but I've searched all over and cannot find such a place.

Is it possible that the name has been changed? And if so, how can I find this place today?
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Cacurri Calabria??

Post by ptimber »

Caccuri is in Calabria in the province of Crotona (KR) Their postal code is 88833. How can we help you? peter
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Hello,
My maternal grandmother, Erminia DeBartolo and her family were all from Caccuri. It was formerly in the province of Catanzaro but as Peter replied below it is now in Crotone. Caccuri has it's own website:

http://www.fitad.it/caccuri/

There are email addresses listed on the website also, but I have not been able to get any of the email addresses to work. I'm not sure why. I have been trying to find out the name of the patron saint of Caccuri but I have not had any luck.

You can also go to www.mapquest.com and look up Caccuri, Italy and see its location on the boot.

The Mormons recently microfilmed many birth records from Caccuri. I had great luck finding the birth records of my grandmother and the rest of her brothers and sisters on microfilm. You can search the Family History Catalog on the internet for the microfilm numbers for Caccuri, Italy.

Donna Pellegrin
Donna Pellegrin
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in PARROCCHIA in the first line and Cacuuri in the third line and Click CERCA. The name of the church Santa Maria Della Grazia will show up wioth an address and telephone number. Call or write for the patron oratroness saint of Caccuri. Peter
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Thank you again, Peter. You are always helpful. I will take your advice. Still I wonder why none of the email addresses on the Caccuri website will work. I wish I could contact them regarding their website.

This is one of the email addresses that I have tried repeatedly:
caccuri@fitad.it
Is there something that I don't know about emailing Italy? Is there something that I am not doing right?

Thanks again,
Donna Pellegrin
Donna Pellegrin
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is a direct e-mail to the caccuri town fathers at www.comuni.it an d put in caccuri in lower right and then click Caccuri and among other things it will give you the website and "SCRIVI AL COMUNE" which means send ean E-mail. Peter
wfwriter

Post by wfwriter »

Thanks for the information, Peter.

I've sent you a PM, Miss Pellegrin.
jprete

Post by jprete »

Hi - Im married to a Prete whose grandfather, Salvatore, immigrated to Boomer, WV from Cacurri back in the early part of the 1900s. Thanks so much for directing us to the Cacurri website! We've shared it with our family.
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Another Caccuri site

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

You are most welcome. Here is another website for Caccuri. It is spectacular. The webpage is owned by a professor Giuseppe Marino who has authored several books on the history of Caccuri.

http://digilander.libero.it/marino50/Su ... indice.htm

Caccuri is in danger from mass emigration. There are only about 1800 people left in the town, most of them older folks.

I am from West Virginia myself. Many immigrants from Caccuri came to West Virginia. It was a chain migration. I am related to a Del Vero family that settled in Boomer.

I don't remember seeing the name Prete in the Caccuri records. Was the name by any chance changed from Parito?
Donna Pellegrin
jprete

Post by jprete »

Hello and thanks for responding. Salvatore Prete moved to Boomer and married Serafina Belcastro. Her family immigrated from San Giovanni around the same time as Granddad Prete left Cacurri. You may know the Belcastro name. We will be headed up to Morgantown next week to welcome our son home from Iraq. His national guard unit has been there for ayear. He was a student at WVU. My husband still has many family members up there. I will see if anyone recognizes your name. Salvatore passed away several years ago, and my father in law passed away last year, but his brother and sisters all still live in Morgantown. They moved there as a family from Boomer back in the 40s.
jprete

Post by jprete »

Also mentioned was going to the family history catalog....I did that and entered Caccuri.....it said no records were found....can you help? Thanks - Jaynie Prete
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Here is a link to the catalog with info on your town:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Debbie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi jprete, and "whew" ... glad there's film for Carcurri! :D

Taking a chance here... :oops: but couldn't resist... :wink: a manifest exists for a Maria Greco and daughter Serafina Belcastro... hope they are yours... they are off to West Virginia. See bottom of page...

http://img27.exs.cx/img27/9909/serfina6aq.jpg (page 1)

page 2 http://img205.exs.cx/img205/8469/page25xl.jpg

As transcribed.... there are errors...

Name:   Serafina Belcastro
Arrival Date:   7 Apr 1916
Estimated Birth Year:   1913
Ethnic Background:   Italian (South)
Port of Departure:   Naples, Italy
Ship Name:   Cretic
Port of Arrival:   Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name:   Green Giovanni (should be Giovanni Greco...)
Last Residence:   Italy
Birthplace:   S grodanni, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number:   239

Name:   Maria Greco Belcastro
Arrival Date:   7 Apr 1916
Estimated Birth Year:   1894
Ethnic Background:   Italian (South)
Port of Departure:   Naples, Italy
Ship Name:   Cretic
Port of Arrival:   Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name:   Green Giovanni
Last Residence:   Italy
Birthplace:   S grodanni, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number:   239

mfjp

Please give my best wishes to your son.
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Hello again, Jaynie,

I'm sure you will be beyond thrilled to see your son again. Hopefully he will be home to stay.

The Belcastro name is as common in Caccuri and San Giovanni as the name Smith is here in the US. I have quite a few Belcastro cousins myself, mostly from the Shinnston area.

Looks like VaDeb has you covered there with a link to the Family History Catalog. Have you found Salvatore at Ellis Island?
Donna Pellegrin
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Well, I couldn't let mfjp have all the fun so...

Salvatore Prete, of Caccuri, is listed at Ellis Island's website twice, once in 1903 and once in 1913. The 1913 manifest has a lot info, including his mother's name, Matilde. I'm assuming that you've already visited the Ellis Island site, but if not, you really need to see these for yourself. :)
Donna Pellegrin