Sending funds to Italy, where and how?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Sending funds to Italy, where and how?

Postby PunzoNewHaven » 30 Jan 2011, 16:28

Hi Everyone,

I have a four :?: -part question (thanks to the people here who even got me this far!)

1) My great-grandfather was born he states in Salerno, Italy. Are they their own town? Would I write to them directly for birth records or is Salerno part of a bigger town/city?

2) I am trying to find Catello's parents, without first names or dob is this even possible?

3) How do I send funds to Italy for this? I looked on the Internet and everything suggests Western Union. I don't speak or write Italian except for very few words, so how would I let them know where the money is if sent Western Union?

4) Are there any online databases free or fee that have Italian records or is the only way to get them by writing for them?

Thank you in advance!
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Sending funds to Italy, where and how?

Postby liviomoreno » 30 Jan 2011, 17:20

PunzoNewHaven wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have a four :?: -part question (thanks to the people here who even got me this far!)

1) My great-grandfather was born he states in Salerno, Italy. Are they their own town? Would I write to them directly for birth records or is Salerno part of a bigger town/city?
According to previous posts Catello was born in Atrani (belonging to the province of Salerno)you should write to

Comune di Atrani
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via dei Dogi
84010 Atrani SA
Italy

and ask for the birth record. Write in Italian using the form letters available at www.circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/

2) I am trying to find Catello's parents, without first names or dob is this even possible?
Catello's birth record will show you his parents' names and maybe also their age.

3) How do I send funds to Italy for this? I looked on the Internet and everything suggests Western Union. I don't speak or write Italian except for very few words, so how would I let them know where the money is if sent Western Union?
Birth, death and marriage records are free of charge

4) Are there any online databases free or fee that have Italian records or is the only way to get them by writing for them?
No, to my knowledge. You may check with FsamilySeach to see if they have microfilmed Atrani's records

Thank you in advance!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby PunzoNewHaven » 30 Jan 2011, 17:29

Thank you. I did find his WWII draft card in his hand that states Salerno as his birth place, so Atrani covers that I am assuming? I hope!
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Postby liviomoreno » 30 Jan 2011, 17:40

The Province of Salerno comprises many town among which Salerno and Atrani.

To be sure, you may write also to the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Salerno

Ufficio di Stato Civile
via Domenico Vietri, 8
84127 Salerno
Italy
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 30 Jan 2011, 20:34

Beth read this this will help you a little. Click on this
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... al_Records
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby PunzoNewHaven » 31 Jan 2011, 11:42

Thank you both. My parents are not too interested in this like I am. I went around to all of the houses in New Haven listed in the cenusus' yesterday to see the houses my ancestors lived in. They were all nice, not all in a nice section of town, now but nice. It was such a cool feeling. My dad, not so interested!
Anyway, I enlisted my mom who was an Italian major, but like I said she speaks and writes book Italian unlike my grandparents. So I will read that link Marty, I don't know if she is willing to write it for me. She could call them and talk to them no problem where I could only say the Italian words I know and I don't think they are too nice! :)
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy