Looking for comune histories

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Looking for comune histories

Postby suz1154 » 08 Mar 2011, 19:40

Does anybody have any suggestions where to look for histories of Italian or Sicilian comunes? I was looking for historical information on Villarosa (Caltanissetta/Enna) and Bompietro (Palermo) in Sicily, in an attempt to find out what was going on in their worlds before our families immigrated to America. I haven't had much success googling "history of Villarosa" (or Bompietro). Just a line or two. I was able to find a little more information by googling "storia di Villarosa" (or Bompietro), and then translating it. Any suggestions on how to search or good places to get additional info on the history of Italian/Sicilian comunes?
suz1154
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Looking for comune histories

Postby Marcello_DAleo » 12 Mar 2011, 13:14

Both Bompietro and Villarosa are very recent comunes (XVIII century). Bompietro was a small village near Petralia Soprana. In origin it was made up of some farm that take the name from the owner's family (Chiarisi: family Di Chiara; Guarraia: family Guarraia; Salerna: family Salerno; Librizzi: family Librizzi; Facitelli: family Facitelli; Alaimo: family Alaimo; Cicchettoni: family Ciccarelli). The church of Bompietro depended on that of Petralia Soprana, and in the church archive of Petralia Soprana you can find the most ancient acts of birth, marriage and death of Bompietro. The name "Bompietro", according to a legend, derives from a thaumaturge, Pietro, that lived in that country. People called him "Buon Pietro" (Good Peter). I know Bompietro very well, my mother was born there... :wink:
Villarosa is a comune in Enna province. It was founded by the family Notarbartolo. They had some sulphur-mine and people came from the nearest villages and towns to work there.

This is a book on the history of Villarosa:
Villarosa : un comune dell'Ennese minerario e rurale / Francesco Bonasera - Enna : Papiro, 1991 - 116 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.

These are books about Bompietro:

Bompietro : viaggio tra le immagini - Palermo : Antiterra, 1995 - 83 p., [4] c. di tav. : ill. ; 21 cm.

Bompietro e un viaggio / Luigi Di Salvo - Palermo : Fotograf, stampa 2009 - 165 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
Marcello_DAleo
Elite
Elite

Re: Looking for comune histories

Postby suz1154 » 14 Mar 2011, 16:41

Thank you very much, Marcello. I will have to check those out.
suz1154
Rookie
Rookie

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy