Church Records from Bivona, Agrigento, Sicily

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Church Records from Bivona, Agrigento, Sicily

Postby sams » 20 Mar 2011, 12:26

I am been fortunate to be able to trace my family back to 1800. At this point in order to further my research I would need to consult church records in Bivona. I cannot see that any of these records were microfilmed. Does anyone now of the existence of church records in Bivona? Does anyone have experience researching these records?
sams

Re: Church Records from Bivona, Agrigento, Sicily

Postby tracisnails » 17 Apr 2011, 04:30

my great grandfather is from Bivona also. I have only gone back to 1869 so far. Did the hall of records there tell you to go to the church records? Im glad I found your post
tracisnails
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sams » 17 Apr 2011, 14:20

The civil records will only get you back to around 1820. Prior to that you would need to consult the parish church records.
sams

Postby johnnyonthespot » 17 Apr 2011, 14:50

You are unlikely to find church records anywhere other than at the church itself. You may find records are in anything from fair to horrible condition; you may even find that they were mostly destroyed during the invasion of Sicily in WWII

Options for a single record, or at most a few, are to write to the parish priest and request a search be performed, being sure to include an offering of €5 to €20.

For more extensive research, you would have to contact the parish and request permission to personally review the records or hire a local researcher to do the work for you.

Currently, there appear to be just two parishes within Bivona. See http://www.paginegialle.it/pgol/4-chiesa/3-Bivona
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby tracisnails » 07 Apr 2012, 17:32

johnnyonthespot wrote:You are unlikely to find church records anywhere other than at the church itself. You may find records are in anything from fair to horrible condition; you may even find that they were mostly destroyed during the invasion of Sicily in WWII

Options for a single record, or at most a few, are to write to the parish priest and request a search be performed, being sure to include an offering of €5 to €20.

For more extensive research, you would have to contact the parish and request permission to personally review the records or hire a local researcher to do the work for you.

Do you send Euro or American money. Dumb question I know but not much of a world traveler so have no clue about what they prefer...lol. I wish I can call them and get the information I need but do not speak italian. The language died in our family when my nana passed in the 80's.

Thanks again,

Traci

Currently, there appear to be just two parishes within Bivona. See http://www.paginegialle.it/pgol/4-chiesa/3-Bivona
tracisnails
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tessa78 » 07 Apr 2012, 18:39

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby tracisnails » 07 Apr 2012, 19:36

Thank you so much that is perfect! I will send it off today! I really do appreciate your help. :)

Traci Bullara
tracisnails
Rookie
Rookie

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy