Casteltermini, Sicily - Any records online?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
ZackLofton27
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Casteltermini, Sicily - Any records online?

Post by ZackLofton27 »

Thank You Tessa! :D :lol:
ZackLofton27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZackLofton27 »

Hi Tessa!

It's been a long time! I've been in touch with a relative of my relatives, whom you've helped as well, who has gotten me back in the groove with these families!

I don't know where to begin...

Looking for Vincenza/Ciuzza Termini who married Vincenzo Alfonso (also could be Arfano or Alfano). I'm trying to find their marriage, and also Vincenza/Ciuzza's birth (perhaps between 1857 and and 1860). Vincenza/Ciuzza was supposedly married first to Taneddro Orlano/Orlando.

I am also wondering if Girolamo Palmieri, who married Vincenza Panepinto in 1896 (she died 1899 after a son Michelangelo Palmieri was born to her the day before), ALSO may have married a Carmela Termini? Or if this is a different Girolamo Palmieri.

I guess this is a start.

Thanks for everything!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Girolamo Palmieri widower son of Vincenzo Palmieri and Filomena Traina married Santa Cardinale widow(Lugo married name) daughter of deceased Salvatore Cardinale and Concetta Provenzano 1900 April 1st in Casteltermini
Attachments
31600_208235-01797.jpg
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
ZackLofton27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZackLofton27 »

Wow! Interesting. I am following an old list that some relative typed up. They have that a Girolamo Palmieri married Carmela Termini (born about 1870), daughter of Vincenzo Termini and Maria Carmela Ballone/Balluna. Maybe it's an error; or perhaps it's a different Girolamo Palmieri!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Looking for Vincenza/Ciuzza Termini who married Vincenzo Alfonso (also could be Arfano or Alfano). I'm trying to find their marriage, and also Vincenza/Ciuzza's birth (perhaps between 1857 and and 1860). Vincenza/Ciuzza was supposedly married first to Taneddro Orlano/Orlando.
Hello Zach :-)

This is the record I provided to Lisa about Vincenza Termini (who she had listed as Ciuzza Termini)
It is the birth of daughter Francesca Alfonso
Birth act of Francesca Alfonso in 1895 in Casteltermini
Father: Vincenzo Alfonso, 37, butcher
Mother: Vincenza Termini, seamstress, his wife
Birth on 7 March 1895
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1946817

I will see if I can find a marriage...

EDIT TO ADD***

Marriage of Vincenzo Alfano and Vincenza Termini in Casteltermini on 27 April 1893.
Groom: Vincenzo Alfano, 35, butcher, born and residing in Casteltermini, son of Girolamo and of Francesca Piloto(?), both residing in Casteltermini.
Bride: Vincenza Termini, widow, 35, seamstress born and residing in Casteltermini; daughter of Vincenzo, ad of Carmela Ballone, both residing in Casteltermini.

With the marriage, they wish to have recognized a son born from their natural union named Girolamo, born 5 December 1891

AND***

Here is the birth of Vincenza Termini, daughter of Vincenzo and of Carmela Ballone, on 4 January 1859.
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I am also wondering if Girolamo Palmieri, who married Vincenza Panepinto in 1896 (she died 1899 after a son Michelangelo Palmieri was born to her the day before), ALSO may have married a Carmela Termini? Or if this is a different Girolamo Palmieri.
Here is the marriage of Girolamo Palmieri and Vincenza Panepinto in 1896.

His parents in this record are the SAME as the parents listed in the marriage that Marty :-) posted for you in 1900. - Vincenzo Palmieri and Filomena Traina

T.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

The Casteltermini records that you find on Ancestry.com (and others) are actually from FamilySearch.org. You can look at download those records for free.

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1946817

You can also find earlier Casteltermini civil records (as well as those for the rest of the province of Agrigento) on www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it:

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... aurazione/

These records are also on familysearch now, and some of them are indexed there as well, making searches easy.

A couple of comments about the spelling of surnames mentioned above:

1. The name is Palmeri, not Palmieri, in that marriage record and Sicily in general. While you do find the Italian spelling Palmieri, too, Palmeri is more common.

2. I believe the name that you have as Ciuzza was actually Liuzzo, a name found in Cateltermini and other parts of eastern Agrigento province.
ZackLofton27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZackLofton27 »

Thank you all for your help! I don't think there's an index, and I can't read Italian; which makes it a little difficult :cry:

Can anyone fill in any blanks here?

The marriage of Vincenzo Termini and Maria Carmela Ballone probably occurred between 1853 and 1856?
Attachments
Vincenzo Termini.PNG
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

The records I linked to above usually contain indexes that were created at the end of each year. You can usually find these indexes at the end of each year's record collection of each type of record (birth, marriage, death, etc.). It's tedious going year-by-year, but it's doable, especially for birth records where you usually know approximately in what year the event took place. I have a program that will download all the records from antenati for a given town, but those records only go up to 1861 or 1865. I haven't run it for Casteltermini yet because I don't do that much research there (I concentrate on towns in the western part of the province), but it could be done within a day.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I just checked the marriage record indexes in Casteltermini for 1853 to 1856. A Salvatore Termini married a Carmela Ballone in Casteltermini in 1855 (marriage rec #68). It's likely that they were the siblings of your ancestors (or at least their cousins). Or maybe Vincenzo's name was originally Salvatore. I didn't see any other groom with surname Termini.
ZackLofton27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZackLofton27 »

Vincenzo Termini may have been the son of Salvatore and Eugenia (Traina) Termini per these papers. But I don't have proof. Vincenzo's daughter Carmela (child 6), according to this, married Girolamo Palmieri
Attachments
Termini Paper 2.PNG
Termini Paper 1.PNG
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Actually, this is looking even more likely to be them. Here are the details from family search:

Name: Salvatore Termini
Birth Date: 1835
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Maria Carmela Ballone
Spouse's Birth Date: 1837
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age: 18
Event Date: 15 Aug 1855
Event Place: Casteltermini, Agrigento, Italy
Father's Name: Salvatore
Mother's Name: Antonina Sciarratta
Spouse's Father's Name: Vincenzo Ballone
Spouse's Mother's Name: Maria Rosa Lo Re
Race:
Marital Status: Unknown
Previous Wife's Name:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Marital Status: Unknown
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M74030-7
System Origin: Italy-EASy
GS Film number: 1467078
Reference ID: p 83 cn 42

Citing this Record:
"Italia Matrimoni, 1809-1900," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XKS5-K1W : 8 December 2014), Salvatore Termini and Maria Carmela Ballone, 15 Aug 1855; citing Casteltermini, Agrigento, Italy, reference p 83 cn 42; FHL microfilm 1,467,078.

And here is Salvatore's birth record:
Name: Salvatore Termini
Christening Date: 16 Mar 1834
Christening Place: Casteltermini, Agrigento, Italy
Birth Date: 15 Mar 1834
Birthplace: Casteltermini, Agrigento, Italy
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Salvatore Termini
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age: 28 y
Mother's Name: Antonina Sciarotta
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age: 26 y
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C74030-3
System Origin: Italy-EASy
GS Film number: 1467074
Reference ID: p 24 cn 24

Citing this Record:
"Italia Nati e Battesimi, 1806-1900," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XVTT-WHC : 8 December 2014), Salvatore Termini, 16 Mar 1834; citing Casteltermini, Agrigento, Italy, reference p 24 cn 24; FHL microfilm 1,467,074.
ZackLofton27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZackLofton27 »

Interesting... I think I've seen this before and doubted it... if it is them, then Salvatore Termini later became known as Vincenzo Termini
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

The Salvatore Termini who married Maria Carmela Ballone had a sister Filomena and parents Salvatore and Antonina, which are the same names as 3 of Vincenzo's oldest children. If Salvatore and Vincenzo are not the same then they are probably brothers.

BTW, here is the marriage record of Salvatore and Maria Carmela: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 8.jpg.html

The bride and groom didn't sign the record because they were illiterate.

I also see that Salvatore had a brother Vincenzo Termini who was born in 1845 but died the same day. He had a twin sister Vincenza Alfonza who also died the first day. It's unlikely that Salvatore could've had another brother Vincenzo who would've been married before 1856, but not impossible.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Salvatore also had a brother Gaetano, born in 1847. Unfortunately the Casteltermini marriage records between 1866 and 1878 appear not to be online, during which range he probably married Elisabetta Amoroso. I checked 1879 and 1880 but their marriage was not in there.