Monastery/College Casteluovo di Garfagnana? 1920s

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Monastery/College Casteluovo di Garfagnana? 1920s

Postby acartia » 15 Jun 2011, 15:02

Both of my father`s parents died fairly close together,in the same year,in about 1922,at Castelnuovo di Garfagnana . His older sisters went to stay with Aunts,uncles etc, but my father went to a monastery or maybe a college somewhere, that I believe was in the general Garfagnana region and maybe very close to Castelnuovo itself. This would have been soon after 1922. I would believe he lived in,and he said he was on the road to eventually becoming a priest. He was well educated at the Monastery/college in Italian,Latin,History, maths etc.But he eventually followed his married sister and husband to Australia in 1928. I am just wondering if anyone may know of a monastery or a live-in catholic college that did exist in the 1920s or may still exist up in that Garfagnana region. I have searched around just on the net but without any result.Any help or thoughts, as usual, will be greatly appreciated.John
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Monastery/College Casteluovo di Garfagnana? 1920s

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Jun 2011, 22:53

John,

I don't recall if this has come up in our earlier conversations, but have you tried searching for records pertaining to your father at the Australia National Archives site? You never know what you might find within, but certainly his last address while in Italy... Start the search at http://naa12.naa.gov.au/NameSearch/Interface/NameSearchForm.aspx or give me some details like full name and date of birth and I will see what I can turn up.

Here is a list of monasteries currently located within a 50km radius of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana: http://www.paginegialle.it/pgol/4-monastero/3-Castelnuovo%20di%20Garfagnana/l-2?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby acartia » 18 Jun 2011, 15:49

Carmine, no idea how you found an easy way of finding monasteries near Castelnuovo! That`s terrific.I have been checking out some of these locations within the 50km range, and I reckon the closest one to his home town is a very good bet.That is Passioniste Di Banfi.Looking at the monastery from above, it is reasonably large, which is what I imagined it to be.This Passioniste group is a little different to the normal run of the mainstream Catholic monasteries/colleges etc.They do not have unis or schools as such, but do have seminaries for students wishing to become Brothers or Priests. Well that fits in to some extent with what my father always said.This is where I will start, and if no joy there I will work out at a wider radius one at a time. You did mention to me once before re the Australian National Archive records. I have just checked them again and I do have most of the records relevant to my father.(His arrival and ship, naturalisation etc),but there are a couple of new ones which have appeared in the last 20 years, which relate to his internment/detainment during WW2, which I must request copies of.None of the ones I have, show any more than C di G or Lucca being his residence in Italy. I should have mentioned in this original post, that my father would have been aged somewhere between 12 and 17 years old when he spent time at the monastery/college. And trust me to spell Castelnuovo wrong in the title for my question!... late at night and not enough Bourbon. Thanks Carmine, you have put me on the right path again.John
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Postby johnnyonthespot » 18 Jun 2011, 15:54

acartia wrote:Carmine, no idea how you found an easy way of finding monasteries near Castelnuovo!

Simple! I just searched the Italian "yellow pages" for monastero. This is also a good way of identifying churches in a given comune or province; just search the same site for "chiesa".
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy