Family nicknames and locations (PD)/(TO)

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Family nicknames and locations (PD)/(TO)

Postby Irishinamerica » 18 Jun 2011, 09:49

My family came to America from Forno Rivara from 1890 to 1920ish. However according to family legend and now several acts of birth, the family went by the nicknames 'Carlet Macchia' and 'Bagat Macchia' which I assume are geographic references. Is anyone on here familiar with the Forno Canavese region who knows what if anything these names mean?
Irishinamerica
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Family nicknames and locations (PD)/(TO)

Postby johnnyonthespot » 18 Jun 2011, 13:41

I am wondering if they are actually double surnames.

I see that there are a few Bagat's in the current Italian telephone directory http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi?ts=103&&l=en&qs=bagat&btt=1&om=0 and there are a few hundred Carlet's http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi?iq=&ver=default&font=default&btt=1&l=en&mr=10&rk=&om=&qs=carlet&dv=

In the area surrounding Forno Canavese, there are two persons with what appears to be the double surname, "Casassa Carlet".

There are some examples of double-surnames among my ancestors; in this case, an (apparantly) unmarried woman gave birth to two daughters, both of whom were given their mother's surname - let's call it Smith. Later, she married Mr. Jones and, on future Italian (Calabria) documents, the daughters appear as "Smith Jones".
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby Irishinamerica » 18 Jun 2011, 18:49

Johnnyonthespot,

Thank you for your reply! I guess I needed to add some more information to my initial post.
I don't know enough about Italian customs; so you could be absolutely right. But the surname of the family that I am researching is "Rolle."

Shortly before his death in the early 1980s, someone in my family had my oldest living relative (who was a 1st generation born in America) write down all of the Italian family history that he could recall.

In this letter, he explains that his father's side of the Rolle family was known as the 'Carlet Macchia's' and that his mother's side (who also had the maiden name of Rolle) was from the 'Bagat Macchia's.'

In researching my great great grandparents children's acts of births, some but not all of them have an additional comment written in the margin with the word 'Carlet Macchia.' And having found my great great grandmother's act of birth (and those of her siblings) those ones are all clearly marked "Rolle" but again have a note in the margin about "Bagat Macchia.'

I definitely buy that it could be a hyphenated name. But I'm also wondering if this could be a reference to a clan (so to speak), or maybe some sort of 'the Rolle's in this area are known as this' kind of identifier.

Again thank you so much for your help!
Irishinamerica
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Irishinamerica » 18 Jun 2011, 19:12

Carmine and others,

I wanted to post an example of what I'm talking about.

This first one is the birth record of one of my great great grandfather's brothers - Carlo Alessandro Rolle (who it states was a twin - the other twin was Costantino).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This second one belongs to my great great grandmother's older sister, Quinta Rosa Rolle.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any help that I can get about what exactly this means would be really helpful!
Irishinamerica
Rookie
Rookie

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy