Travel from Positano to Baiano, Avellino

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Travel from Positano to Baiano, Avellino

Postby taxi55 » 04 Jul 2011, 03:02

Hi Everyone - Happy 4th of July weekend!

My Aunt just decided to take a spontaneous trip from NY to Positano with a friend (they leave in two weeks - and I am VERY jealous!) Now my Aunt is regretting that she didn't book some time in Baiano and she is trying to see how difficult it would be to travel from Positano to Baiano so she can visit where her father (my grandfather) was born.

You've all been so helpful in the past and I thought I would throw this out there in case anyone can help. Any suggestions that would make this easy for her (and not too costly?) I would hate to see her take this trip to Italy and miss out on visiting Baiano. (If only her friend had slowed down and asked questoins before booking the vacation.) :)

Also - does anyone know if there are any tourist attractions near Baiano?

Thanks all,
Soophia
Looking for family history in: Baiano, Avella, Stigliano and Craco.
Names researching: Acierno, Rienzi, Guariglia, Cantasano, Mormando, Benedetto, Seccafico, Napolitano, Belladoni, Fiordilisi.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Travel from Positano to Baiano, Avellino

Postby johnnyonthespot » 05 Jul 2011, 14:41

Since no one else has responded, I will offer some general comments:

First off, will your aunt be in the main city of Positano, or some nearby area?

There are no trains that I can see which will work for this trip, so her options are probably limited to:

a) driving herself in a rental car
b) hiring a car and driver
c) almost certainly, a bus; Italy has a great public transportation network and you can take buses from nearly anywhere to nearly anywhere.

Using Google maps, the drive from Positano to Baiano is about 55 miles and 1-1/2 hours. See http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Positano+Salerno,+Italy&daddr=Baiano,+Italy&hl=en&ll=40.784701,14.470367&spn=0.598932,0.910492&sll=40.780541,14.637909&sspn=0.59897,0.910492&geocode=FW72awIdBgvdACkvdC2Pb5c7EzG7aSgxo-rLwA%3BFQvncAIdQwzfACllqY_7A7U7EzG4c0rtrvepXw&gl=us&mra=ls&doflg=ptm&z=10

Regarding the "car and driver" option, if your aunt does not speak Italian, she will probably benefit by hiring a local "translator - car & driver" person for 4 to 6 hours.

For the bus option, keep in mind that the trip may take quite a bit longer than 1-1/2 hours due to stops along the way and/or the necessity to change buses enroute.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby fargone » 06 Jul 2011, 15:52

Hi. I come from Baiano. Positano and Baiano countries are well connected by public transport. As long as your aunt take the bus from Salerno to Salerno and then the train to nola which is 6 km from Baiano. About the attractions of the area is near Avella Baiano, a country rich in history (Amphitheatre, Roman tombs, Lombard castle etc..). Then Baiano is not far from the ruins of Pompeii. If you want more info I am at your disposal. Bye
fargone
Rookie
Rookie

Postby taxi55 » 06 Jul 2011, 16:32

Thanks so much Carmine - great info! (We can always count on you with your generosity of time and knowledge!)

And to you too Fargone! So kind of you to share your input! (How's the weather there now?)

We originally thought it woulde be long a trek for her to visit Baiano - but now - I think this is very do-able...(I wish I was going!)

I'll get this info over to my Aunt - she will be thrilled!!!

Enjoy your day!
Sophia
Looking for family history in: Baiano, Avella, Stigliano and Craco.
Names researching: Acierno, Rienzi, Guariglia, Cantasano, Mormando, Benedetto, Seccafico, Napolitano, Belladoni, Fiordilisi.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy