Finding info on birth/death records

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Finding info on birth/death records

Postby mackie13624 » 05 Dec 2004, 18:08

Hi everyone,

I am very new at this so it is possible that the answer is right in front of my face. I have been working backwards like suggested and am now to the point of trying to find info on my GGP. I have names and the location, Locana, Italy. Would the best step be to check into the Family Research Lib. or to write to ????? in the town they are from? If it is going directly to Italy I am at a loss as to who and where I write too.

Thanks,
:D Gina
mackie13624

Re: Finding info on birth/death records

Postby ptimber » 05 Dec 2004, 18:42

There are no microfilm for Locanarovincia Torino so you have no choice but to write directly to the Uffico Di Stato Civile in Locana and send form request letter in italian to that office. The service is free but a self addressed envelope and $5.00 (postal coupons or even cash if you wish). You need the fullname and at least the approximate year of birth and the document you wish. For birth (estratto di nascita is the big one), marriage and death you can obtain dox for individuals. For Family Certificate (Certificato di Stato di Famiglia which covers all heads of household (father) and all members of that immediate family will give you spouse, brothers and sisters. Go to www.circolocalabrese.org for the form letters. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby 1owl » 05 Dec 2004, 19:32

Gina, you do have a choice because film you can order does exist at the Family Research Library.

www.familysearch.org

Baptisms, marriages, deaths, church census

Italy, Torino, Locana - Church records

Titles
Registri ecclesiastici, 1612-1899  Chiesa cattolica. Parrocchia di Locana (Torino)
1owl

Postby ptimber » 05 Dec 2004, 20:19

There are two churches in locana and you will find the microfilm more difficult to read since they may not be indexed by year or name, however, it may be worth a try if you wish. There is a book Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson which was written for people researching the microfilms which may also help you. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby mackie13624 » 05 Dec 2004, 23:20

Thank you for the info. Here is my next question. I now have my Great Grandfathers death certificate and on it are his parents names. I have no dates but I guess I could try to estimate. The other thing I was wondering about was when I was on the surname site I was able to find my Faletti (Falletti) name but not my Piccatto side. This side happens to be the one that I am looking for now. Is it possible that I have an incorrect spelling for them to research in Italy? I looked at the website and love it, thanks. Will I be able to find the address as well? Do I use Locana or put it the way Peter had in his reply?

Gina
Gina Wirth
mackie13624

Postby 1owl » 06 Dec 2004, 00:28

Piccatto and Picatto are common...

If you go to this site...

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... search.asp

and do a search of Picatto, you will see that many are from the Torino area.

Peter can probably answer your other question than I could.
1owl

Postby ptimber » 06 Dec 2004, 06:26

what address are you talking about? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 06 Dec 2004, 06:28

Postscript: there are 9 Piccatto and 49 Picatto surname currently in Torino province so money goes with Picatto. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby mackie13624 » 06 Dec 2004, 14:17

Peter, I would like to know how to find the addresses to the places where I am sending the letters too. Do you think the family certif would be more helpful than one persons birth certif? Should I just do both? Sorry to bug you.

Gina
Gina Wirth
mackie13624

Postby mackie13624 » 06 Dec 2004, 14:47

I found this site and located 8 comuni that have my surname. Any ideas how to get addresses for these people?
Gina Wirth
mackie13624

Postby ptimber » 06 Dec 2004, 16:54

go to www.paginebianche.it and insert the surname in the first line and the name of the townin the third line and click CERCA. All those people with that surname will come up for that town by full name address and telephonenumber. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy