Location Africa/Asrica?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
lathompson
Rookie
Rookie

Location Africa/Asrica?

Post by lathompson »

I was reading a record on microfilm (can't print at this point) and it lists a place of birth as either Asrica or Africa? My family member was living in Oppido Mamertina when she died. Her name was Francesca Pellegrino which certainly "sounds" Italian. When I can print I will print this but is this possibly Africa the continent?

Thanks.

Linda
lathompson
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Location Africa/Asrica?

Post by lathompson »

Maybe Africo, Reggio Calabria. I will check when I can go back next week. Found this on the internet.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here are some possibilities :-)

# Affrico, comune of Gaggio Montano - province: Bologna - region: Emilia Romagna

# Africa, comune of Pietrasanta - province: Lucca - region: Tuscany

# Africo Nuovo, comune of Africo Nuovo - province: Reggio Calabria - region: Calabria

And here is the residence place you mentioned...
Oppido Mamertina, comune of Oppido Mamertina - province: Reggio Calabria - region: Calabria

Can you post the image? We can help to decipher.
Use a site like http://postimage.org/

T.
lathompson
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lathompson »

Thanks. I will when I get back to the family history library. Right now I can only view not print or scan which is making it a little more difficult. I am having trouble figuring out the handwriting... sometimes I can't even tell what the first letter is!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

lathompson wrote:Thanks. I will when I get back to the family history library. Right now I can only view not print or scan which is making it a little more difficult. I am having trouble figuring out the handwriting... sometimes I can't even tell what the first letter is!
Maybe this will help :-)

https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki ... andwriting

T.
lathompson
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lathompson »

Thank you so much! I am going to compare this tomorrow.