Can't Seem to Find City

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
ashevcarco

Can't Seem to Find City

Post by ashevcarco »

I'm looking at my husband's great grandfather's World War 1 draft registration card. He wrote for place of birth "Ucerre," or that's what it looks like (and it seems to be very clearly written). He was born 2/28/1888. I can't seem to find a town with that name. I think my mother-in-law said my father-in-law's family came from Naples. Any help with this?
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Can't Seem to Find City

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to the website How about some info name,where lived, abt birtdate?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
ashevcarco

Post by ashevcarco »

Here he was John Pisco, born 2/28/1888. All we know about him is that he came to the US at about 16 years old with his father. We don't know where he was born but were told he came from Naples area. His mother (don't know her name) died young. The draft registration card said he had one brother. I don't know if the brother came here with him. Never any mention by family here that there was a brother living here. We don't know what port he arrived at in the US.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that the birth place could be Acerra ( Napoli province)... the surname must be Piscopo and no just Pisco... becoming Pisco in USA.. but also in Acerra exist Prisco...
however in Acerra births I found( 1886-1888) some Giovanni Piscopo but no one born in February; instead I found a Giovanni Piscopo born in Acerra on 1 feb 1889 son of Vincenzo Piscopo and Tommasina Di Mase
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=12768328
the father of this Giovanni(=John) Piscopo came in USA in 1909:
pag 1 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0019
pag 2 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0019 and joining at brother in law Pasquale Di Mase...
if my idea is right abt the birthplace (Acerra) we can search a Giovanni Piscopo ship's manifest... you know John Pisco parent's names?

regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ashevcarco

Post by ashevcarco »

No, don't know anything else about John Pisco's family (parents or wife). He ended up in Hannibal, Missouri working for the Atlas Cement Plant. There were many other Italians working there, too.
ashevcarco

Post by ashevcarco »

I've been looking through some other information and it's possible his birthday was 2/28/1890. I think he ended up in Kansas City, Kansas prior to moving to Ilasco, Missouri. He had two brothers, both died young before 1940. He came to US with his father but his father went back to Italy.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ok... Acerra birthplace is right... I have no doubts.... as a well surname spelling: Piscopo

in 1890 Acerra births it are some Giovanni Piscopo but no born in February... Giovanni Piscopo is a popular name in Acerra....

the only Giovanni Piscopo born in Acerra in February, between 1886 and 1890 it is the:

Giovanni Piscopo born in Acerra on 1 feb 1889 son of Vincenzo Piscopo and Tommasina Di Mase...

I cannot find any census abt your John Pisco... and no other records...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ashevcarco

Post by ashevcarco »

I certainly appreciate all that you've done to help me in this search. I contacted another relative here to see if she can give me any other info at all about background. Don't think she has any but thought I'd give it another try anyway. Again, thank you.