Genoa

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Genoa

Postby Brian in Wedmore » 27 May 2012, 21:19

My ancestor Alexander (originally Alessandro, I assume)Bellini came to England around 1800, possibly with some siblings, and according to family stories handed down to other descendents he was from Genoa. This was before Italy existed as a single country, of course, and the area was then part of France but I believe it was before registration was introduced by Napoleon. The only chance for finding anything would therefore be by searching church records. Does anybody know if it is necessary to do this church by church or if the records have been gathered centrally somewhere? If it is necessary to search church by church, is there somewhere I could find a list of churches in Genoa? Does anbody know of a family history group in Genoa. Does anybody have any other ideas? Many thanks for any help.
Brian in Wedmore

Re: Genoa

Postby adelfio » 30 May 2012, 14:51

Did you try contacting SAINT ANDREW,HOLBORN,LONDON,ENGLAND to see if they had any info in there records of him and his wife

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Genoa

Postby Brian in Wedmore » 30 May 2012, 21:33

Hi Marty.

I emailed St Andrews but got no reply, not even an acknowledgement. I believe their records are at the national archive but as I live in the west country haven't yet had time to visit. I've found Alexander's marriage and birth certificates and baptism records/birth certs for three children so I'm not sure what else I'm likely to find in the UK except possibly something relating to his possible siblings, about whom I've so far discoverd very little; as they seem to have disappeared I'm wondering if they went back to Italy but I've not looked very hard.

I will try Morfasso as somebody suggested, as well as Genoa, but have since found descendents of another of Alexander's children and in their family it had always been said that they came from Genoa.

I've also identified Alexander's wife's parents but haven't spent much time at all down that road yet. Many thanks for your interest,

Brian
Brian in Wedmore

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy