Orphanage in ACERRA

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
16 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Orphanage in ACERRA

Postby 4gvduro » 07 Jan 2005, 09:01

I am looking for Carmanine DURO who was born in Acerra Italy probably in the 1850's or early 1860's. The story is that he was dropped off at an orphanage or a convent in Acerra as an infant, and he was given the name DURO which means "tough". He married Marianna ? and his son emigrated to NYC and settled in Chicago, IL. Anyone with info on this?
Patti Duro
Searching for Duro, DeRosa, Schiavone, Balletta, Sibilio, Gallo, Caporale, and Brucci
4gvduro

Re: Orphanage in ACERRA

Postby JamesBianco » 07 Jan 2005, 17:23

Well, first of all...If you are interested in finding this information yourself.

1. I recommend you attempt to get a more definitive year of birth on him, you can do this by checking US Federal Census records (Which I, and many others here have access to and would love to help you with) and
when you have found that. You could proceed to looking for his record of birth in Italy...

Have you been to your local Family History Center (LDS)?

They have available Civil Registers of Births Marriages and Deaths from 1809-1865 (For Acerra) available on Microfilm.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... o+civile++

AND you are lucky, as they have filmed the Church records from 1607-1900. (Baptism, Marriage and Burial)

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... siastici++

Let me (or any helpful soul on this forum) know if you need assitance in using the LDS records, or where to locate a Family History Center near you.

Best of Luck
Jim Bianco
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby ptimber » 07 Jan 2005, 19:57

Since you obviously have your work cut out for you may I suggest that you buy/borrow the book Discovering your Italian Ancestiors bty Lynn Nelson which is an excellent companion for vewing and researching the microfilms at the family history library. bring along a magnifying glass as well since most of the wrecords will be andwritten. it is interesting to note that Acerra has no one currently listed as Duro residing in the town,but there are 35 persons in the province of Napoli of shich Acerra is located who are surnamed Duro which to my mind implies that there is family for this "orphan". you may wish to consider writing one letter and sending copies to all 35 asking if they know anything about him and the story. include a self addressed enveklope and if you wish send a dollar in each for stamps to encourage a reply. Thereis also a person who travels frequently to Italy and may be able to find the information for you if the costs seem reasonable to you. Please let me know if you want to go the letter route or fiollow the micorfilm trail or hire someone. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby 4gvduro » 08 Jan 2005, 04:20

Thank you for the info James and Peter. We are pretty sure that Carmanine did not emigrate with his son, but I have done extensive searches in census and death records anyway and have come up with nothing. His son was Gennaro Duro, b. Aug 15, 1880 in Acerra . He married Josephina Balletta Nov 3, 1901 in Acerra. She was b abt 1880 in Acerra. He died Feb 1970 in Chicago, IL. She died in 1962 in Chicago, IL.
Their children were:
Maria b. 1904 in Acerra
Carmen b. May 5, 1907 in Acerra
Vess (Vespaziano) b. 1911 in Chicago
Jerry (Gennaro) b. 1913 in Chicago
Molly b. abt 1915 in Chicago
(I guess I could have put that info in my first post!) :roll:
I have emigration info on the family, but it says nothing about the parents. All I have to go on is what was told to me by Carmen, the grandson.
I will try the LDS records and see what I come up with, If nothing, Ill try the letter writing.

Thanks again!
Patti Duro
Searching for Duro, DeRosa, Schiavone, Balletta, Sibilio, Gallo, Caporale, and Brucci
4gvduro

Postby ptimber » 08 Jan 2005, 04:30

P.S. Since your searching for all these other sur=urnames you might wish to try them for Acerra and see if they would have info for you. go to www.paginebianche.it and put surname in first line and Acerra in third line and cclcikc CERCA for listing. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby suanj » 08 Jan 2005, 08:23

4gvduro wrote:Thank you for the info James and Peter. We are pretty sure that Carmanine did not emigrate with his son, but I have done extensive searches in census and death records anyway and have come up with nothing. His son was Gennaro Duro, b. Aug 15, 1880 in Acerra . He married Josephina Balletta Nov 3, 1901 in Acerra. She was b abt 1880 in Acerra. He died Feb 1970 in Chicago, IL. She died in 1962 in Chicago, IL.
Their children were:
Maria b. 1904 in Acerra
Carmen b. May 5, 1907 in Acerra
Vess (Vespaziano) b. 1911 in Chicago
Jerry (Gennaro) b. 1913 in Chicago
Molly b. abt 1915 in Chicago
(I guess I could have put that info in my first post!) :roll:
I have emigration info on the family, but it says nothing about the parents. All I have to go on is what was told to me by Carmen, the grandson.
I will try the LDS records and see what I come up with, If nothing, Ill try the letter writing.

Thanks again!

Hi: Caramine really is Carmine just spelling first name..
well: are an Carmine Duro emigrated:
Cognome
DURO

Nome
CARMINE

Età=age

Sesso=gender
M

Professione
LABORER

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Cabina

Porto d'imbarco
NAPLES

Nave
VINCENZO-FLORIO

Data d'arrivo
5/3/1884
-------
More, and sure you know already:
Giuseppa Balletta is emigrated in 1922 http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0550%2ETIF
with the child:
Amalia, Gennaro, Carmine, Vespasiano, all coming from Acerra and joining from gradfhater Vespasiano Balletta in Chicago.
------
regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby mfjp » 08 Jan 2005, 17:49

suanj, I will see if I can find the manifest.

Found this too, please see line 427, I am not sure if it is "DURO" or DURA...

http://img77.exs.cx/img77/338/carmine11yo.jpg

Name:   Carmine Dura
Arrival Date:   19 May 1887
Estimated Birth Year:   1848
Port of Departure:   Genoa, Italy
Destination:   New York
Place of Origin:   Italy
Ship Name:   Letimbro
Port of Arrival:   New York
Line:   37
Microfilm Roll:   507
List Number:   589
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 08 Jan 2005, 18:07

Dear 4gvduro your initial inquiry asked about "being dropped off at an orphanage" and the background for this family historyis what is being sought. How did we get to iimmigration to the USA? Is this part of your inquiry or is this just people supposing that this is what you are seeking? Please advise. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby suanj » 08 Jan 2005, 18:27

mfjp wrote:suanj, I will see if I can find the manifest.

Found this too, please see line 427, I am not sure if it is "DURO" or DURA...

http://img77.exs.cx/img77/338/carmine11yo.jpg

Name:   Carmine Dura
Arrival Date:   19 May 1887
Estimated Birth Year:   1848
Port of Departure:   Genoa, Italy
Destination:   New York
Place of Origin:   Italy
Ship Name:   Letimbro
Port of Arrival:   New York
Line:   37
Microfilm Roll:   507
List Number:   589

Hi mfjp, this is D'Uva surname, are possible to see the manifest of 1884 about Carmine Duro?
good week end!
suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby mfjp » 08 Jan 2005, 20:21

hi suanj, sent you regular email - for manifest help, sometimes script is not very clear.
saluti! mfjp :wink:
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 09 Jan 2005, 19:59

Thanks Patti for the excplanation. I am sure you will agree with me that the "information" you asked for relates to the orphanage and not the immigration, at least reading the initial inquiry the weay it is written. Just whjat is it that you want to knwo specifically though??? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby 4gvduro » 09 Jan 2005, 22:03

I would like to first see if the story is true by finding an orphanage or convent with records of him being there, with perhaps an approximate birthdate. Maybe also a marriage record to see who is listed as his parents (if they are listed at all). Ultimately I would like to find his parents, but I realize if the story is true, that is rather unlikely. So anything at all that I can find out about him and/or his wife would be my goal.

Thanks,
Patti
Patti Duro
4gvduro

Postby suanj » 09 Jan 2005, 22:35

4gvduro wrote:I would like to first see if the story is true by finding an orphanage or convent with records of him being there, with perhaps an approximate birthdate. Maybe also a marriage record to see who is listed as his parents (if they are listed at all). Ultimately I would like to find his parents, but I realize if the story is true, that is rather unlikely. So anything at all that I can find out about him and/or his wife would be my goal.

Thanks,
Patti

Patti: for descover in Italy about Carmine Duro, you can:

1-request in Archivio di Stato of Napoli an copy from birth registry about birth of GENNARO Duro born in Acerra the Aug 15, 1880 ...well in this copy are age of Carmine and also paternity.., and name Gennaro mother and also mother's paternity;

2-well: with Gennaro birthyear - Carmine age= max aproximative birth year of Carmine... with this birthyear and paternity you can request in Acerra Common an search in birth registry about Carmine...

3-from reply Acerra Common you know Carmine name relatives.. if Carmine was an infant abandoned you will know not name relatives.. why are an dossier top secret about all infant abandoned and is not possible know.. are necessary an istance of judge...

-for an search in orphanage this is very difficult ...why is possible that Carmine was in an orphanage of other province...

I think that is good suggestions the steps 1-2 for know all...

regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby 4gvduro » 10 Jan 2005, 08:39

Thank you suanj for your reply and advice. If I write to the Archivo di stato of Napoli. Will I have to write it in Italian? Unfortunately I do not speak it or write it, so I am wondering what is the best way to writing these places, english, or find a translator?

Thanks,
Patti Duro
4gvduro

Postby suanj » 10 Jan 2005, 12:56

4gvduro wrote:Thank you suanj for your reply and advice. If I write to the Archivo di stato of Napoli. Will I have to write it in Italian? Unfortunately I do not speak it or write it, so I am wondering what is the best way to writing these places, english, or find a translator?

Thanks,

Well Patti, remember that The Archivio reply you and sending the copy and also ask the sum 2 or 3 euros for expenses; after you receveid the copy and you know exact sum, you send the payment ( send the money in an letter)...

well: send this txt email to asna@archivi.beniculturali.it
-------------------
ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI NAPOLI
Piazzetta Grande Archivio 5
80138 Napoli(NA)
Italia

Oggetto: Richiesta copia atto di nascita di DURO Gennaro, paternità Carmine, nato a Acerra il 15 Augusto 1880.

Gent.mo Direttore,
mi chiamo ....... (your name) e sono cittadina statunitense di origine italiana discendente di DURO Gennaro, paternità Carmine, nato a Acerra il 15 Augusto 1880.
Con la presente la sottoscritta cortesemente richiede quanto in oggetto; è gradito conoscere le spese relative dovute e la modalità di invio.

In attesa di riscontro ai sensi della L.241/90, è gradita l'occasione per porgere i più distinti saluti,

.......... (your name)
..............(your complete and exact address)
..........your mailto
-----------------regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Next

16 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to Locations in Italy