San Guiliano?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

San Guiliano?

Post by luvfamily »

My grandfather was born in SanGuiliano, Campobasso,Abruzzo Italy

I am not sure if I have the spelling right. Can anyone help me? Someone told me there are 3 SanGuiliano in Italy and that I would have to find which one he came from. I do not have much to go on. A friend told me he was an orphan when he came to America. I do not know if he was orphaned early in life or during the war. I believe his father's name was Michael Simiele. I do not know the mother's name. My grandfather's name was Antonio Simiele. Can anyone clear up this towns name for me? I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Gloria
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: San Guiliano?

Post by Tessa78 »

luvfamily wrote:My grandfather was born in SanGuiliano, Campobasso,Abruzzo Italy

I am not sure if I have the spelling right. Can anyone help me? Someone told me there are 3 SanGuiliano in Italy and that I would have to find which one he came from. I do not have much to go on. A friend told me he was an orphan when he came to America. I do not know if he was orphaned early in life or during the war. I believe his father's name was Michael Simiele. I do not know the mother's name. My grandfather's name was Antonio Simiele. Can anyone clear up this towns name for me? I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Gloria
Here are the POSSIBILITIES.. All of these are San Giuliano
I highlighted the 3 that are found in CAMPOBASSO - but they are in Region of Molise, NOT Abruzzo

San Giuliano, comune of Arezzo - province: Arezzo - region: Tuscany
San Giuliano, comune of Castelvetro Piacentino - province: Piacenza - region: Emilia Romagna
San Giuliano, comune of Grumento Nova - province: Potenza - region: Basilicata
San Giuliano, comune of Prignano Cilento - province: Salerno - region: Campania
San Giuliano, comune of Rimini - province: Rimini - region: Emilia Romagna
San Giuliano, comune of Roccabruna - province: Cuneo - region: Piedmont
San Giuliano, comune of Susa - province: Torino - region: Piedmont
San Giuliano, comune of Teano - province: Caserta - region: Campania
San Giuliano del Sannio, comune of San Giuliano del Sannio - province: Campobasso - region: Molise
San Giuliano del Sannio Scalo, comune of San Giuliano del Sannio - province: Campobasso - region: Molise[/b]
San Giuliano di Petrosino, comune of Petrosino - province: Trapani - region: Sicily
San Giuliano di Puglia, comune of San Giuliano di Puglia - province: Campobasso - region: Molise
San Giuliano Milanese, comune of San Giuliano Milanese - province: Milano - region: Lombardy
San Giuliano Nuovo, comune of Alessandria - province: Alessandria - region: Piedmont
San Giuliano Piemonte, comune of Alessandria - province: Alessandria - region: Piedmont
San Giuliano Terme, comune of San Giuliano Terme - province: Pisa - region: Tuscany
San Giuliano Trentapiedi, comune of Paceco - province: Trapani - region: Sicily
San Giuliano Vecchio, comune of Alessandria - province: Alessandria - region: Piedmont

T.
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

Oh my gosh!!!!! I better start a novena to St. Anthony to help me find him. I can't believe there are so many! Thank you so much Tessa. You are so very generous with your time and very kind. God bless you!

Gloria
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

How about more info like birth date siblings where he settled in the US and wifes name to help to track down some info to find his birth town.......

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

Antonio Simiele
born: January 14, 1870 (death certificate)
died: September 9, 1935 (Cleveland,Cuyahoga,Ohio)of Acute Lymphatic Leukemia

Married Caterina Giulianelli
born: May 8, 1872 Roccapipirozzi,Molise,Isernia,Italy
died: January 12, 1962 Chicago,Cook,Il

July 31, 1898 (Mechanicville,Saratoga,New York in St. Paul's Catholic Church

Had two sons born in Mechanicville Michael and Dominic. I am assuming Antonio's father was Michael because it is a custom to name after the parents. I do not know of any brothers or sisters he may of had. I just know they said he was orphaned.

Note: on death certificate it says father unkown mother unkown
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hey Gloria! :-)

The early manifests do not have much information on them...
That being said, according to the 1920 Census for Antonio and Katherine/Caterina, he immigrated about 1892.

Here is a POSSIBLE 1893 manifest for Antonio. He is age 22 (DOB about 1871). He lists his occupation as a mason.
Interestingly, there is ANOTHER A. Simiele, age 51, on the line below him
Native Country - Italy; Destination - New York for both...
BUT - no specific town of residence or birth :-(

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about A Simiele
Name: A Simiele
Arrival Date: 5 May 1893
Birth Year: abt 1871
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Hesperia

Line 457 and 458

T.
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

Thank you Tessa. I know the one Antonio that is 51 is not him because they said he was a young man when he came to America. The 22 yr. old could possible be him. Wish they had a town where he was from.

Thanks again for your time and help. So appreciated.

Gloria
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Do you know if they were married in church in Mechanicville, New York
sometimes the Catholic church marriage registry shows the place where the bride and groom were born in Italy

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

Yes Marty they were married in St. Paul's Church in Mechanicville, NY

I will try to send an email to them and ask if I could have a copy of the certificate.

thank you

Gloria
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

My grandfather was born in SanGuiliano, Campobasso,Abruzzo Italy

Some thoughts...

Today, both San Giuliano del Sannio and San Giuliano di Puglia are located in the province of Campobasso, region of Molise. However, prior to the unification of Italy, San Giuliano del Sannio was located in the distretto di Campobasso, province of Molise, region of Abruzzi e Molise, while San Giuliano di Puglia was located in the distretto di Foggia, province of Capitanata, region of Apuglia. Since you state that your grandfather was born in "San Guiliano, Campobasso, Abruzzo, Italy," it seems that San Giuliano del Sannio is the more likely possibility. Furthermore, the surname Simiele is found in San Giuliano del Sannio today (it is not found in San Giuliano di Puglia). In fact, the surname Simiele is the most common surname of Cercepiccola, a comune located just 3 km from San Giuliano del Sannio.

The Registri dello stato civile di San Giuliano del Sannio (Campobasso), 1809-1910, has been filmed by the LDS. Go to http://www.familysearch.org to view the film notes. The films can be rented and viewed at the Family History Centers operated by the LDS worldwide. You can locate your nearest FHC at the above website. I would suggestvthat you search these records for your grandfather's birth record.

PS: I can find no reference to the existence of San Giuliano del Sannio Scalo as a comune, frazione, or contrada. Whatever it may be, there are references to it online as being located in the comune of San Giuliano del Sannio.
John Armellino
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

thank you so much John. The family search center is where I have been going to. I will get the films for this. You have been most helpful in my search. I will be so excited if I can find his birth record. I never knew my grandpa because he died before I was born. But what I have heard of him I wish I was able to know him.

Thanks again

Gloria