Place? Bahano for Dileuce or De Leuce Surname

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
angelamarika

Place? Bahano for Dileuce or De Leuce Surname

Post by angelamarika »

DELEUCE (from Bahano???) OR IPPOLITO w/varients
I just joined and need to unravel some info about my Italian grandfather Michael (Michele Di Leuce or De Leuce) who immigrated to the US in 1904. (Ellis Island) (Di Leuce, Michele M 20y S Italy - Italian South Bahano) Is Bahano a town?? I have not been able to find it on any maps. I was told my grandfather came from the "heel of the boot". Michael DeLeuce settled in Orange New Jersey, married Mary Ippolito and had at least 5 children. The children were placed in St. Mary's Orphanage in about 1916. Looking for my grandmother's parents, also from Italy, and any of my grandfather's relatives. Most searches for the names Deleuce or Dileuce come up empty on genealogy sites.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Angela Marika Couch
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Place? Bahano for Dileuce or De Leuce Surname

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website after looking at it I think it is possible that Michele DiLeuce came from BALSAMO OR BALVANO MAYBE ANOTHER SET OF EYES CAN LOOK
Ship manifest for reference
CLICK FOR RECORD KEEP CLICKING TO ENLARGE LINE #11

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

adelfio wrote:Welcome to IG website after looking at it I think it is possible that Michele DiLeuce came from BALSAMO OR BALVANO MAYBE ANOTHER SET OF EYES CAN LOOK
Ship manifest for reference
CLICK FOR RECORD KEEP CLICKING TO ENLARGE LINE #11

Marty
Earlier I found the original manifest on the missing manifest option at the website www.stevemorse.org T715, roll 460, frame 351, and agree with Marty that the town name is Balvano in Potenza Province. There are birth records online at familysearch.org, but I had trouble trying accessing them a while ago to confirm that this is his place of birth.

Erudita
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I went through birth index records of Balvano 1883-1889 not surname even close to Di leuce or Leuce What was said about being from the heel of the boot might be Balsamo

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
in WWI draft registration card, Michele De Leuce:
U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Michal Dileuce
Name: Michal Dileuce
County: Essex
State: New Jersey
Birth Date: 25 Jan 1883
Race: White
Draft Board: 5

the nearest relative was the him sister Rosa De Leuca(Di Leuce?)in Essex ave, Orange, Essex, NJ...
I found the trip of
Maria Rosaria DI LEUCI born in Volturino (Foggia province, Apulia region),father Emidio in Volturino and joining at brother Michele in 46 Henry St Orange, Essex, NJ:
New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Mria Rosaria Di Lenci
Name: Mria Rosaria Di Lenci (DI LEUCI)
Arrival Date: 22 Dec 1910
Birth Date: abt 1889
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: valturino (VOLTURINO)
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: America

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... pl&indiv=1

I believe that the right surname spelling is DI LEUCI and Michele was born in Volturino.. for some reason in 1904 ship's manifest the him last residence was Balvano....
hoping helpful,
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Suanj,
Ti amo! Prego! Buon lavoro
I was trying to find a sibling
There are records available on film from Family History library of Volturino Registri dello stato civile di Volturino (Foggia), 1809-1929
Civil registration of births, marriages, deaths, banns, miscellaneous documents, marriage documents, supplemental documents from Volturino, Foggia, Italy
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/331345

FAMILY HISTORY CENTER LOCATOR
https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

ABOUT ITALIAN RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... al_Records

Marty

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Oh Marty...: you are always so kind with me! :D
Thanks,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
angelamarika

Post by angelamarika »

Hi Everyone
I have found some answers through inquiry on Genforum. The town of Bajano is on the map. Province of Campobasso, in the region of Molise. Still far from the heel but perhaps a relocation before immigration? or original birth place? Thanks to everyone who has tried to pinpoint the area. The De Leuce or Di Leuce name is indeed rare. Someone did a search for the name in Italy and only 3 found. My search several years ago in the US only turned up 3 living persons, and 3 deceased (SS Death Index) all my relatives. My questions, who is my Ippolito grandmother, her parents names? Both of my grandparents came from Italy according to my mother's birth certificate. My grandparents Michael & Mary Ippolito DeLeuce, had at least 5 children, all raised in St. Mary's Orphanage (I think in Newark) after 1916. I have more info I will add later. We have visitors coming to our house but I will be back. Thanks Angela Marika Powell Couch Thanks Again AMC
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Another possibility?

Maybe the name was Dilecce... which can be found in Apulia Region (the "heel"), and also in Matera (Very eastern part of Basilicata Region)which is very close to the "heel of the boot" ???

Just thinking out loud for possibilities :D

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Angela are you sure Suanj info is not correct about Michele DI LEUCI?
Did he have a sister named Rosa in NJ?

Marty

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi abt Bojano ( right spelling) town in Campobasso province, I am pretty sure that your ancestor coming not from this town. And I am pretty sure also that the right italian surname spelling is DI LEUCI...
By my search he was born in Volturino..
Abt you Mary Ippolito I found a possible Ippolito family in 1905 NJ census:
Mary Ippolito in household of Tony Ippolito, "New Jersey, State Census, 1905"
Name: Mary Ippolito
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1905
Event Place: , Essex, New Jersey, United States

Birth Year (Estimated): 1883
Family Number: 262
Page: 14
Line Number: 66
GS Film number: 1688602
Digital Folder Number: 004881590
Image Number: 00032
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Tony Ippolito M 50
Rosa Ippolito F 58
Charles Ippolito M 24
Maragret Ippolito F 25
Mary Ippolito F 22
Henry Ippolito M 20
Joseph Ippolito M 19
Louis Ippolito M 17
Ang*Th? Ippolito F 14

it could be your Mary???
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

POSSIBLE SHIPMANIFEST MARIA IPPOLITO
Coming from Sant'Arsenio (Salerno), going to meet brother Giuseppe Ippolito living in NJ LINE #22
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0022

Marty

Marty
angelamarika

Post by angelamarika »

Hi Everyone

suanj It is possible that Di Leuci is the name as you have suggested and I have explored that name some. The problem I had was, I did not know if he had any relatives (other than his children who all spelled their names as De Leuce), until, you found the info on his draft registration card about his sister named, Maria Rosaria DI LEUCI. I did not see that information on the text version of the card. I did not see a scanned version. I have suspected a name change because of the rarity of the name. But I have recently found some Di Leuce’s on Facebook. I have not contacted them though. Also, Di Leuci is quite rare with that spelling, not even listed in genforum, no matter how I arrange the letters. (Deleucci, Deluchi, Di leuce etc) I feel confident that the Maria Rosaria DI LEUCI is Michael Di Leuce’s sister though, no matter the spelling. I was never told he even had a sister. Her arrival date would have been 2 weeks after the birth of my mother.

Marty, my De Leuce/Di Leuce cousin I met a few years ago told me that there was an Aunt Rose & Uncle Tony and I was under the impression it was on the Ippolito side. (He knows very little about the family as well.) This matches up with the list of the 1905 census you found. The last name on the list would likely be Angela. I don’t yet understand Italian names/nicknames, but my mother’s original name was Madelena, (she changed it to Helen Marie) could she have been named after Margaret?? My Aunt Antoinette after Anthony, Aunt Angela after the Ang? at the end of the list and the Rose in the list of children from the orphanage after the grandmother Rosa? It all fits. And in addition to that, my mother’s birth certificate states she was born at 46 Henry St. So that matches up with the manifest you found of Maria Ippolito to the home of brother Giuseppe. (I had to look that up to see it stood for Joseph.) lol My Aunt Annette told me that my grandfather and/or uncle was an undertaker. The Paul Ippolito Memorial Funeral Home is in the same location it was over a 100 years ago on Henry St. I have sent letters and emails asking for information but have never received a reply.

Marty, what is your reasoning of why my grandfather Michael did not come from the town of Bajano? Just curious. The text manifest says Bahano as if the person taking the record wrote what it sounded like instead of the correct spelling. I will investigate the other areas though. Thanks

T.Tessa78 I have also seen the Dilecce name, but because I know so little about him I am reluctant to go in that direction since I have found a ship manifest and the World War I Draft Registration Cards both with the Di Leuce spelling.

So that’s a lot of information and I can’t thank everyone enough, I’m getting a handle on this I think. This is the most help I have received on my Di Leuce/Ippollito family in the 40+ years I have been searching. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.

Angela Marika Couch
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

just for precision: I found the 1905 census...
However maybe the 1905 census cannot be the right Ippolito family, because Mary Ippolito was single in 1910:
1910 United States Federal Census about Mary Ippolito
Name: Mary Ippolito
Age in 1910: 27
Birth Year: abt 1883
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1910: Orange Ward 3, Essex, New Jersey
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1901
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Anthoney Ippolito
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Name: Rose Ippolito
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Anthoney Ippolito 60
Rose Ippolito 58
Charles Ippolito 29
Mary Ippolito 27
Nettie Ippolito 18
Henry Ippolito 26
Joseph Ippolito 24
Margaret Franko 31
Alfonzo Franko 3
Nicholas Franko 2

Your Mary Ippolito married before of 1910?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Do you have their death record or marriage record?
The Bajano/Bahano listed in the manifest is his last place he resided in
Marty

Marty