Finding birth certificate WITHOUT town

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Finding birth certificate WITHOUT town

Postby mcmah143 » 09 Aug 2013, 18:21

I have been using LDS Family Search micro film trying to find my G-Grandfather's birth certificate. I have full name, birth day and/or baptism date (they are one month apart) and know he immigrated in 1903 leaving his wife and baby daughter. I have their names and years of birth as well.

While I know they were from Avellino province, I'm sure it was one of the small towns but have searched a few places I had tips on like Sperone and Baiano with no luck.

Do I have a way of requesting birth certificates from a government records if I can NOT identify the particular town? Searching town by town seems so inefficient!

Many thanks!
mcmah143

Re: Finding birth certificate WITHOUT town

Postby erudita74 » 13 Aug 2013, 12:14

mcmah143 wrote:I have been using LDS Family Search micro film trying to find my G-Grandfather's birth certificate. I have full name, birth day and/or baptism date (they are one month apart) and know he immigrated in 1903 leaving his wife and baby daughter. I have their names and years of birth as well.

While I know they were from Avellino province, I'm sure it was one of the small towns but have searched a few places I had tips on like Sperone and Baiano with no luck.

Do I have a way of requesting birth certificates from a government records if I can NOT identify the particular town? Searching town by town seems so inefficient!

Many thanks!

Without knowing his birth town in Italy, you won't be able to obtain his birth certificate. Did he immigrate to the U.S.? If so, have you retrieved any U.S. documents which might have his birth town on them such as his application for his social security card,his naturalization papers, if he became a citizen, a U.S. passport, if he was issued one? have you double checked that his passenger list does have the birth town? Some only give the last place of residence, but some give both.

You should post his name and date of birth on the forum and possibly one of the volunteers here can help you narrow down his town of birth.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby mcmah143 » 16 Aug 2013, 19:19

Many thanks for the reply.

I have tried to locate naturalization papers in Westchester county NY where the family lived once arriving in 1903, but their recrods don't appear in the digitalized county records I checked. Perhaps I'm unaware of alternative methods to getting those naturalization papers??

I have both ship manifests - his listing just "Avellino" while hers lists "Sperone"

Many thanks for any insight!
mcmah143

Postby erudita74 » 17 Aug 2013, 15:12

mcmah143 wrote:Many thanks for the reply.

I have tried to locate naturalization papers in Westchester county NY where the family lived once arriving in 1903, but their recrods don't appear in the digitalized county records I checked. Perhaps I'm unaware of alternative methods to getting those naturalization papers??

I have both ship manifests - his listing just "Avellino" while hers lists "Sperone"

Many thanks for any insight!

If you post his name and some specific info about him, one of the volunteers on the forum might be able to help you track down info you don't already have. I have seen some naturalization records for Westchester County, and they did not necessarily have very specific info concerning the town in Italy, but it may depend on the year he naturalized. I am familiar with the county's online indices and know that you can't do a sound search of the surname, in case it was misspelled. His naturalization record though may be indexed with the Southern District of NY database, which includes Westchester County, at the following website:

http://www.italiangen.org/databaselist.stm

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy