"Missarelli" mystery (research re: Travisano family)

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

"Missarelli" mystery (research re: Travisano family)

Postby travisdj » 04 Sep 2013, 01:41

I'm looking for a town called "Missarelli". The name is a place of origin for my great-
great-grandfather, a Nicola Travisano, when he sailed aboard a ship called the Pictavia in 1891. It's also given as a point of origin for almost a dozen other apparently unrelated people who sailed on the same ship.

So far as I can tell, this place-name does not occur outside this shipping record and does not refer to a current town in Italy (or anywhere else). Also, almost every other place-name on the same shipping record was misspelled, too.

My best theory is that the "real" name was Mazzarelli. No other variation of "Missarelli" comes close to referring to a place-name in Italy, although if anyone knows of other contenders, please let me know.

The two initial towns called Mazzarelli were not promising. One is in the Piedmont, the other is in Umbria. Both are too far north to be a likely origin for a south Italian family, neither are correlated with people with the surname Travisano, and probably most importantly, neither is large enough that it's likely for a dozen unrelated people would emigrate from there at a single time. Both villages are extremely small, even today.

This brings me to Marina di Ragusa, a large and very old port town in Sicily. Prior to 1928, Marina di Ragusa was called Mazzarelli. There are a few Travisanos that pop up on the other side of Sicily, so the surname is at least active in the region.

So Marina di Ragusa is my best guess as a point of origin for Nicola Travisano and the 10 or so other "Missarellian" passengers aboard the Pictavia.

First, does this sound like a reasonable theory?

Second, does anyone have any idea how to confirm the theory? Who would I contact (if anyone) in Marina di Ragusa to see if our family shows up on any city records? Are there other ways of confirming it that I'm not thinking of?
travisdj

Re: "Missarelli" mystery (research re: Travisano family)

Postby Biff83 » 04 Sep 2013, 14:09

If this is the manifest you mentioned, it appears that the Nicola Trabisano on line 49 is from Saviano, currently in the province of Napoli, Campania region.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5760/tzly.jpg

Biff
"There are only two lasting bequests we can give our children - one is roots, and the other, wings." -- Hodding S. Carter

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Biff83
Master
Master

Postby suanj » 04 Sep 2013, 16:03

Hi, if the ship's manifest you mentioned is:
New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Nicola Crabisano
Name: Nicola Crabisano
[Nicola Travisano]
Arrival Date: 27 Apr 1891
Birth Date: abt 1877
Place of Origin: Missarelli
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Destination: New York
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Pictavia
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... turnRecord

Biff suggestion could be right abt last residence.. or Laviano town ( Salerno province)..
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby Biff83 » 04 Sep 2013, 18:24

suanj wrote:.. or Laviano town ( Salerno province)..
regards,
suanj

Suanj,

I believe Laviano is the correct town. Located a number of immigration records and WWI Draft reg cards which showed Laviano as place of birth for a decent number of Travisano's who settled/lived in Newark, NJ which I believe is where Nicola also lived.

Biff
"There are only two lasting bequests we can give our children - one is roots, and the other, wings." -- Hodding S. Carter

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Biff83
Master
Master

Postby suanj » 04 Sep 2013, 18:45

:D Thanks Biff!
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby travisdj » 05 Sep 2013, 05:08

Biff,

Thanks for that link -- Saviano would certainly make more sense given the number of Travisanos who came from there. (Is this link the Pictavia manifest?)

Where then is Ancestry.com getting "Missarelli" from?

- David
travisdj

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy