Cianciana, Agrigento, Sicily

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Cianciana, Agrigento, Sicily

Post by mcvega »

I am trying to find my maternal grandparents family in Cianciana. I went to Cianciana last month and I was able to find my grandmother, Vincenza Taglialavore 1895, and her marriage 1911 to my grandfather, Francesco Castellano abt. 1890. I was disappointed that we were unable to find my grandfather's birth register or any of his siblings. His bother David Castellano signed on his marriage register as a witness. I only had time to go to the civil building as I wasn't aware that they would close at noon. Where else can I find this information. I know Francesco's father was Giuseppe Castellano and his mother's name was Giuseppa ?. My grandmother Vincenza Taglialavore may have had a Baron for a father or a Baroness for a mother, not real sure. Her father was Giovanni Taglialavore who died when she was very young and her mother Rose Cicero, remarried.
Please help me. Should I return to Sicily and try somewhere else? but where? Does anyone have any information on the people of Cianciana. Do these name sound familiar to anyone?
Thank You for reading.
Dolly
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Cianciana, Agrigento, Sicily

Post by Tessa78 »

mcvega wrote:I am trying to find my maternal grandparents family in Cianciana. I went to Cianciana last month and I was able to find my grandmother, Vincenza Taglialavore 1895, and her marriage 1911 to my grandfather, Francesco Castellano abt. 1890. I was disappointed that we were unable to find my grandfather's birth register or any of his siblings. His bother David Castellano signed on his marriage register as a witness. I only had time to go to the civil building as I wasn't aware that they would close at noon. Where else can I find this information. I know Francesco's father was Giuseppe Castellano and his mother's name was Giuseppa ?. My grandmother Vincenza Taglialavore may have had a Baron for a father or a Baroness for a mother, not real sure. Her father was Giovanni Taglialavore who died when she was very young and her mother Rose Cicero, remarried.
Please help me. Should I return to Sicily and try somewhere else? but where? Does anyone have any information on the people of Cianciana. Do these name sound familiar to anyone?
Thank You for reading.
Dolly
There are limited records available ONLINE for Cianciana at this free site
https://familysearch.org/search/image/v ... %3D2043548

A more extensive collection of the records is available to rent and view at your nearest LDS Family History Center...
Here is the catalog listing (1821-1929)
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Here is a POSSIBLE birth record for Francesco Castellano in 1891
Record #198
Dated 8 September 1891 - BIRTH on the 6th of September
Father is Giuseppe Castellano, 30, sulfur miner
Mother is Giuseppa Cicero, his wife, a spinner
Child was named FRANCESCO

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n508701233

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

EDITED
Birth of Francesco Castellano
INDEX#214
1890 Sept 30th in the town of Cianciana in a house on via Scavazzo birth of Francesco Castellano son of Giuseppe Castellano age 36 shepherd and Giuseppa Di Noto

PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n508701233

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I saw the family tree on ancestry.com
Tessa has the right birth act of Francesco Castellano son of Giuseppe Castellano, 30, sulfur miner and Giuseppa Cicero which weren't married civil they must have married in the church according to the birth act

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

In Italy you usually get married civil and church like I said they most likely married in the church never in the civil til 1898 so when the children married they were legitimate
Marriage of Giuseppe Castellano and Giuseppa Cicero
INDEX#16
1898 April 5th in the town of Cianciana appeared Giuseppe Castellano age 36 farmer born in Montallegro and resides in Cianciana son of deceased Francesco Castellano and deceased Anna Gino married Giuseppa Cicero age 31 born in Cianciana and resides in Cianciana daughter of deceased Paolo Cicero and deceased Ninfa Alfano
Montallegro is a comune in the Province of Agrigento

In the written part they recognized 4 children they gave birth to
1887 May 9th Anna Castellano
1889 July 19th Vincenzo Castellano
1891 Sept 6th Francesco Castellano
1894 Jan 1st Paolo Castellano

Didn't see a David Castellano maybe he was a cousin found David Castellano birth 1884 parents were different

PG LINK TO MARRIAGE RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1990778972

Marty

Marty
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

Thank You Tessa and Marty. This was like an early Christmas. You guys are amazing. I have been working on this for years and like I said I even went to Cianciana but only found Vincenza Taglialavore's birth and her marriage to Francesco in 1911. This is so amazing, i have to share with others.
Thank You so much
Marty you did a lot of work, I have to add this information to my tree as I am now able to add another generation.

Dolly
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

Thank You Tessa and Marty. This was like an early Christmas. You guys are amazing. I have been working on this for years and like I said I even went to Cianciana but only found Vincenza Taglialavore's birth and her marriage to Francesco in 1911. This is so amazing, i have to share with others.
Thank You so much
Marty you did a lot of work, I have to add this information to my tree as I am now able to add another generation.

Dolly
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

Yes, you are right. When everything is in Italian I cannot read it. Thank You for showing me that. I will now write it down. I was hoping to get a date. I am pretty sure it is in June. I have learned a lesson, I shouldn't get so excited and not write down the translation, for some reason I think I will remember it and obviously I don't.
Thanks for your help