Solarino

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
ronb116

Solarino

Post by ronb116 »

Hello all,

my grandfather Giuseppe Germano was born in Solarino (Siragusa region in Sicily). I've done research and some of my ancestors names were Germano, Burgo, Califiore, Catinella, Oliva, Aparo, Adorno, Carrubba, Biondo, and a few others. While doing my research I noticed that many of the records I looked over, someone from one of these families was marrying someone of one of the other families. I guess you could call it a close knit town where they didn't go out of town to meet and marry someone. I guess that was the way of life back then where they wouldn't leave their community. Would anyone here be able to elaborate on this?

Thanks,

Ron
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Solarino

Post by Anizio »

If you are talking about going back into the 1800s and earlier of course. Italian was mountainous. They didn't have cars. Travel was not really possible. So, especially in the more mountainous parts of Italy, people did not travel much between towns unless those towns were close by. So when the town is small....it meant the selection was smaller.

This is one of the reason dialects and regional distinctiveness have lasted for over 2000 years in most parts of Italy (ie. the Tribal regions of the Roman era are largely consistent with the dialect/language borders of modern Italy, with limited change), and why Italy, and even many of the parts of Italy particularly south of Emilia-Romagna, but all of it, is considered one of the last remaining genetic islands of the world. Not only is there very minimal non-Italian people coming into Italy, but movement within Italy between regions was very restricted and limited. When a family did go from one town to another, it was often a permanent move, not just a visit. Unless it was a valley or flat area in which case you could say the same thing about a group of towns.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
ronb116

Re: Solarino

Post by ronb116 »

Hey Anizio,

thanks for the insight. I kind of figured that was the case being of transportation issues back then and families just not packing up and moving to different towns, very understandable. I appreciate your response and information. Most were listed as farmers so I guess they were content working the land and living their lives where they were born. It makes more sense when you think about putting yourself in their shoes back then. Thanks again.

Ron