A town in Italy? Where?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

A town in Italy? Where?

Postby tranch » 15 Aug 2005, 09:05

I think I've found my Grandmother at EllisIsland.org. She arrived here in 1914 and the manifest there says her last town of residence was Nocero Homdra, Italy. I did a Google search and can't find a thing on a town with that spelling. Is anyone familiar with this town? Is it misspelled and would you know the correct spelling? Could it have been a small town destroyed during WWI or WWII? Is it in the Calabria region?

Any information anyone has would be grealty appreciated. If you know where I can go to find out information on this town please leave a URL or address where I can write.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Andy
tranch

Re: A town in Italy? Where?

Postby mfjp » 15 Aug 2005, 09:45

Nocera Umbra ??...

I did find the manifest you are speaking of... and it is Nocera Umbra

it is in the Region of Umbria
in the Province of Perugia (PG)
Zone - Central Italy

http://www.comuni-italiani.it/054/034/

map

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?fo ... a&zipcode=

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby tranch » 15 Aug 2005, 19:37

Thank you very much.
One other question someone may have an answer to. On the ship manifest in the column marked "Calling or Occupation" it appears to be left blank, originally. Then in a different handwriting there is this number written in, 11-200992-9/8/38. I'm assuming it was something written in in 1938? Would anyone know what this number might be?
tranch

Postby VaDeb » 15 Aug 2005, 23:21

That number does mean the manifest was checked on 9/8/1938. The first numbers probably refer to an alien registration number. The 11 refers to a district or court. From the chart http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/mani ... 33-43.html it seems to indicate Chicago. The web site above has alot of good information about notations on manifests. Most likely this notation has to do with citizenship appplication.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby tranch » 16 Aug 2005, 03:09

Thank you Debbie. The web page is most informative.

Would I be able to get information on the 200992 number from Ancestry.com or somwhere else? The reason I ask is I can access Ancesrty.com from my public library for free and as often as I like and the rest of my searching I do from home. Would there be somwhere else I can get information on this number, a government site possibly? I looked at the Immigtation site and asked for information, but I don't know if it's even the right place or if they'll even answer me.

I'm just beginning this search for my family and, read as much as I can, I'm still like a lost person when trying to find information. I usually "Stumble" on it by accident, as I did this web site.
tranch

Postby VaDeb » 16 Aug 2005, 03:46

That number is probably their alien registration number or the number assigned to their petition for citizenship. You will not likely find in on-line anywhere. From the USCIS site, download the form to file a freedom of information request (FOIA). You can request a copy of all the records on the person. It takes a while. Usually have to prove who you are and that you have a legal right to this information. Need permission of the person if they are alive or proof of their death.

You can also try contacting your local National ARchives and looking for naturalization records there. Ususally quicker. Also available as public records so no need to prove anything to access the information.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy