bruno family

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

bruno family

Postby lag031 » 22 Aug 2005, 02:10

i just found out that my granmother was born in messina, not taormina, where is messina( not sure about the spelling)? i was told in sicily that is all. her name was lillia ingegneri, born smetime in 1896, she died in massachusetts on nov 17, 1968any help would be appreciated . im not sure if she married in italy of in massachusetts. husbans name was john (giovanni) bruno born in1889 died in massachusetts dec. 23,1957. thanks for any help lillian
lag031
Rookie
Rookie

Re: bruno family

Postby VaDeb » 22 Aug 2005, 04:00

Messina is a province in Sicily and also the name of a town in that province. Do you mean your grandmother was born in the town or the province and you have to identify the town of her birth?

Do you have her passenger record for entry to the USA? What about census research. That will give you a good idea of if she married here or in Italy.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby lag031 » 23 Aug 2005, 02:06

debbie, how do i go about checking census records, and i believe that she was from the town of messina, thanks lillian
lag031
Rookie
Rookie

Postby VaDeb » 23 Aug 2005, 02:38

ancestry.com has census records on line and indexed from 1930 backwards. Census is done every 10 years. Ancestry is a paid site, but you can get a 2 week trial subscription for free. It is also available at many libraries and family history centers.

Genealogy.com also has census records, but their indexes are not as complete as ancestry (at least the last time I checked).

Many libraries also have Heritage Quest, which has census records, that you can access on-line from home for free. Index is not as complete. Check with your library for details.

Do you have documents that state your ancestor was from Messina? If so, what? Please don't take offense, but it seems like you may need to so some more US research before you jump to Italy.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Locations in Italy