Need a little help

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Paison_73

Need a little help

Post by Paison_73 »

i was looking up my great great grandfathers info on the ellis island website, i found his name (at least i think its him)
but the city it says he is from doesn't exist.

any ideas what city this might be?
Roseigico i tried Sicily also and no luck.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Need a little help

Post by mfjp »

Hi, hope this helps...

City of Roscigno: Campania Region - Italy

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/065/111/

Even looked for his brother Anthony's manifest to see what was listed for him...

Map... please note... Roscigno "Nuovo" and "Vecchio"

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamicheli ... trChoice=0

mfjp
Paison_73

Post by Paison_73 »

thankyou very much, that was a great help
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Paison_73 wrote:did a search of the region, but there are no Noce's left in the area....what should be my next step in finding where my family went?
Hi there :!: continue your posts here... don't start a new post... this way we can keep track of what's been said or done...

Maybe you should include more info about your ancestor... as you never supplied a given name or surname... year of birth... spouse, where he settled in the USA... children...

You were talking about Eduardo Noce (who 's off to his brother Antonio's home in NY)
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

His ship record...

First Name: Eduardo (b 1863)
Last Name: Noce
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Roseigico
Date of Arrival: May 03, 1898
Age at Arrival:  35    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: Alesia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0001

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2685010291&
i tried Sicily also and no luck.
If you think he was from Sicily, then his surname could possibly be "La Noce"...

As for "Roscigno"... it could have been just his residence... and not necessarily his birth town...

mfjp
Paison_73

Post by Paison_73 »

the problem is my grand father died about 12 years ago and i haven't seen my father in about as long. my mother knows nothing of my fathers family, so it difficult to research.
the thing i do know is we are all named Edward.

i don't think he was from Sicily, if he were im sure my family would have said we are Sicilian. I'm pretty much going by instinct now as i have no connections or leads to anything.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

No clue as to who Eduardo's wife was?? Children... I know I asked this earlier...

A census record could be found somewhere...

Also, if you have any other details (I know you are limited) please mention...

Where did he settle in the US...??

mfjp
Paison_73

Post by Paison_73 »

i know my father as born and raised in Wisconsin, but my grandfather was in the Airforce for a long time so there is no telling where he was born and raised
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

When you don't know many details about your family, it helps to start tracing your genealogy a little closer to home.

You mentioned your grandfather died 12 years ago. Start with him. Get a copy of his death certificate. Also look for obituaries in local newspapers. Obits usuallyl have alot of inforamtion. This should lead you to where he married and the name of his wife. A marriage record will also have alot of the informaiton you need to go back further. With these records you should discover the names of his parents and his place of bith.
Paison_73

Post by Paison_73 »

i re-did the math....
it was the summer of my 9th grade year (1989)
so it was approximately 16 years ago.

how would i go about finding that obituary or the death certificate? keep in mind i no longer live in the state he died in (Washington State), i currently live in southern california
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GlobeTrotter »

Hi Paison_73,

I've also recently begun researching my family history and I find this site for vital records to be very helpful in locating any documents about relatives who have lived in the U.S. (birth, death certificates, etc.). Here it is: http://www.vitalrec.com/usmap.html
It should have all the vital records contact information for every state. I'm still pretty new at this, but I think that if you have enough information, you can write them and request the documents you're looking for (usually for a fee). Hope this helps!

Mark
Paison_73

Post by Paison_73 »

that helped alot, but the link keeps saying it's 199 dollar membership fee. i found his name but it wont give me any information till i pay the membership fee
Paison_73

Post by Paison_73 »

i signed up for the free trial, but the major problem now is i need his exact date of death, i don't know it. i did send my father an e-mail about a week ago and he has yet to respond to it, and i have a feeling he isn't going to respond.

on a brighter note though, i did find out he was born in Ohio (my grandfather that is) and he possibly has a brother and sister (both of which have died)
it doesn't go into full detail of what city it just says place of birth Ohio
Paison_73

Post by Paison_73 »

and it does give his social security number....is there anything i can use it for to get the info i need?
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GlobeTrotter »

You must have clicked on the "Search for Ancestors" link at the top of the webpage. That is an advertisement for ancestry.com and will bring you straight to their website. Instead, scroll down the webpage I gave you and click on the state you'd like to request records from. For example, if you'd like to obtain a copy of your grandfather's birth record, then you should click on the state of Washington on the US map. There you can find the necessary information to contact the Washington State Vital Records Office.
Hope I haven't confused you!

Mark