Naples location on Portuguese record

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
lorenzokid

Naples location on Portuguese record

Post by lorenzokid »

I have a marriage and baptism record from Portugal. On it is says Paulo Victor b. abt. 1809 is from, best I can ascertain, Sao Pedro de Villa Vijana Naples Prov. Berelgada/Bazegado. I am wondering if this Vijana could be Viggiano which, I believe is in Potenza, not Naples but was it a part of Naples ca 1800? And St. Peter is the patron Saint of Viggiano. Could the Bazegado be Basilicata. Paulo's father's name is Vincente Victor b. abt. 1785 and his mother is Rosa diMilta. Paulo's wife is Portuguese and he is living in Portugal ca 1825. They were circus performers. I am trying to trace the family back to Italy so I might find birth/marriage/death records and maybe info on circus there. Thank you.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Naples location on Portuguese record

Post by PippoM »

Hello!
Can you post images of the documents?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
lorenzokid

Post by lorenzokid »

Thank you for the reply. Bear in mind the the Portuguese priest who wrote this information down did so by how it sounded to him. I have had a previous instance where Portuguese written Bixaxe turned out to be Bacich. I can send the site address it is on and you could look at it there, if that would be of help.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, Di Milita ( right spell, but in the past alsao just Milita) is a popular surname in Viggiano...
here the 1809 Viggiano births http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... Nati/1809/
nobody Victor ( maybe Vittoria or Di Vittorio or Vittor)...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lorenzokid

Post by lorenzokid »

Suanj

Thank you so much for the reply and information. Best I can figure, Roza Di Milta/Milita was born ca 1785. Vincente Victor was also born ca 1785 best I can tell. I believe you are correct in that the original spelling of the Victor surname was Vittoria, diVittorio, Vittor and it was changed to the "Portuguese" spelling. This happened to another of my Italian ancestors when they went to live in Portugal. I do not know exactly when their son Paulo born abt. 1809 went to Portugal but he married there in 1829. I wonder how far back this family went as Circus performers, particularly highwire.

Thank you again. Every little bit helps to knock down this brick wall I have been researching for over 20 years now.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi

I've spent some time looking at the death indices for the years 1830-1860, where available, and also some earlier birth records for Viggiano. While the surname DiMilita is very popular, as Suanj has indicated, the names Vittoria, Di Vittorio and Vittor did not show up. (This possibly means that Paolo's father was born elsewhere?) A name that is rampant in Viggiano, that is close, is Vietri. This may also be another possibility, although I do think that the surnames Suanj has suggested are more likely. Just thought I'd mention this.

Do you know what year Paolo died? Are you able to also post the link to the records you do have. Thank you.

Angela
lorenzokid

Post by lorenzokid »

Angela, Suanj, PippoM, others..

Here is the record, it is in Portuguese. After the records comes up, on the left hand side, click on #105

http://digitarq.arquivos.pt/ViewerForm.aspx?id=4797430

Thank you. "E"
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you. In the record I am reading Paolo's surname as Victo, which in Italian I believe would be Vincitore.

(In the 1809 birth records, I noticed a Vincenzo Vita and a Rosa Milita, gave birth to a daughter, Caterina Vita. (Am looking out for syblings as well which would give info.) Two problems: The birth record is not there, Rosa Di Milita was a common name.)

So this marriage record is the only one you have?

Angela
lorenzokid

Post by lorenzokid »

Angela,

Thank you. This seems like it would be the right couple. You note Vincenzo Vita and Rosa Milita gave birth to a daughter Caterina Vita. Are you saying there is no birth record for her? Is what you found online and if so, how can I access it? I believe son Paulo was born about the same time. Paulo and Maria had 3 children all born in Portugal. Baptism record for their son Joaquim - No.170 is at:

http://digitarq.arquivos.pt/ViewerForm.aspx?id=4797413

I want to thank you all so much for helping me keep a promise I made to my mom over 20 years ago.

"E"
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

lorenzokid wrote:Angela,

Thank you. This seems like it would be the right couple. Yes, I thought so too, but I can't be 100% sure about this, and don't want to mislead. I'm still searching for more clues.

You note Vincenzo Vita and Rosa Milita gave birth to a daughter Caterina Vita. Are you saying there is no birth record for her? Is what you found online and if so, how can I access it? I believe son Paulo was born about the same time.

1809 Viggiano Birth Index: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Scroll down to No 101. Vita Caterina

Unfortunately, this year only has the index and not the records. Hopefully they are hidden amongst some other records.

Paulo and Maria had 3 children all born in Portugal. Baptism record for their son Joaquim - No.170 is at:

http://digitarq.arquivos.pt/ViewerForm.aspx?id=4797413

Thank you for posting Joaquim's baptism record here. It is wonderful that it has so much detail in it about Paolo's parents as well. What were the names of the other two children?

I want to thank you all so much for helping me keep a promise I made to my mom over 20 years ago.

"E"
You are very welcome for the help.

(This is a little bit scrambled and just my thoughts: Thinking about the marriage record, it is very specific, as is the baptism record, about Paolo's birth place, (especially where it mentions the “Kingdom of Naples”). Obviously, Paulo presented a written copy of his birth record which, I would suggest, was needed before he could marry? There would have been quite a lot of room for error in the transcription of Paolo's surname, along the way. (ie reporting his birth – writing the original birth record – writing the birth extract – then writing details in to the marriage record))

I'm not sure whether you have seen this message board. It might be useful to you:

Circus: http://www.circushistory.org/Query/Query10b.htm

Angela
lorenzokid

Post by lorenzokid »

I have been doing additional research on this Victor/Vita and DiMilita family and all Portugal records I have found say the same thing.......that Paulo Victor(Paolo Vita) was baptized in the church of St. Peter, village of Vijana (Viggiano?) Reino de Napoly, Provincia de Berelgada. I still wonder if this is really St. Peter Church, Viggiano, Basilicata, which I now know is not in Naples but in Potenza. I have since found out that Paulo died between 1849 and 1854 and we are trying to find this record but the problem is we do not know where he died as they seemed to move around a bit. We do know Paulo's parents are Vincente Victor and Roza Milita. I did research some Italian records and found a death record in Naro for a Vicenzo Vita Apr 10, 1834 born 1794 (about the time our Vito was born) but it says he is single. Where, if there is such a things, are the records for this St. Peter Church? Are they online that I might be able to search them? I feel we are so close to finding these ancestors but yet so far. Any suggestions sincerely appreciated?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

By looking in Internet, it seems that only some ruins remain of St. Peter's Church.
Maybe parish registers are now kept at the only one parish in Viggiano:

Parrocchia S. MARIA DEL MONTE
Via Roma, 1 , VIGGIANO 85059 (PZ)
Numero di telefono: +39 097561113

You might want to contact them to know something more.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
lorenzokid

Post by lorenzokid »

Thank you, Giuseppe. I will try to contact them by post as I do not read/write/speak Italian and will use Google translate and pray for the best.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here are some links to help with letters of inquiry in Italian to the Parish Priest :-)

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter4.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... rishpriest

T.
lorenzokid

Post by lorenzokid »

T,
Perfect!! Grazie mille (I'm trying)