Locating birthplace of bisnonni- Lucca vs Massa e Carrara

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Madison1623

Locating birthplace of bisnonni- Lucca vs Massa e Carrara

Postby Madison1623 » 05 Jun 2016, 09:42

I'm the great-grandchild of Italian immigrants and I'm looking to start the process of applying for Italian dual citizenship. I need to request my great-grandparents' birth certificates and marriage license from their commune in Italy, but I can't figure out where, exactly, that request needs to go. My grandmother (my bisnonni are her parents) told me they came from Lucca, which checks out with what I found on the NY 1925 census, after they had immigrated. The ship manifest from when they arrived, however, has their places of birth listed as "Massa C., Castelnuovo." I'm assuming "Massa C." is the province Massa e Carrara, which to my knowledge does not have a town called Castelnuovo and is not Lucca, as my grandmother thought. Does anyone have any advice here?

My great-grandparents are Natalina Castelli (b. January 2, 1897) and Vittorio Dini (b. April 17, 1892 or 1894), if that helps!

Thanks!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Locating birthplace of bisnonni- Lucca vs Massa e Carrara

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Jun 2016, 17:26

There are many villages and towns with the name Castelnuovo...
Here is a village (hamlet) in Lucca ...

Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, comune of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, Lucca, Tuscany

Which was in the Province of Massa e Carrara

EDIT***

Here is the birth act of Natalina Castelli in 1897 in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana :-)
You will need a certified copy for dual citizenship - you will need to write to the comune for a copy.

Dated 6 January 1897 at the town office.
Appearing before the official was Pietro Castelli [son of Battista], age 38, farmer residing in Castelnuovo, to declare that at 5 PM on the 2nd of the month to Carlotta Bacci, [daughter of Nicola] his wife residing with him, was born a female child who was given the name Natalina Maria.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043811

T.

Madison1623

Postby Madison1623 » 12 Jun 2016, 00:00

Wow- amazing detective work! Thanks for your help!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 12 Jun 2016, 05:41

Happy to do it! :D

T.

Return to “Locations in Italy”