Birth certificate without knowing town?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Russ344

Birth certificate without knowing town?

Postby Russ344 » 29 Jul 2016, 00:32

Hello, new member here. I have been trying to get a copy of my mom's birth certificate from Sicily but no one knows where in Sicily she was born. I have her DOB, date she died, parents names but no DOB's. I've tried all kinds of internet searches but nothing. Is it possible to do this or am I stuck without the town. Thank you very much!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Birth certificate without knowing town?

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Aug 2016, 23:29

Let's see what we can do.

Was your mother married in US, or in Italy? Husband's name and country of birth?

What was her date of birth? When did she come to US?

Names of her parents and siblings?

Was she naturalized?

Don't give up yet :-D

T.

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Birth certificate without knowing town?

Postby kencwalker » 03 Aug 2016, 16:47

First the bad news: Birth records are kept at the comune (city) level (and usually a second copy by the province - at the Archivio di Stato). So, without a place of birth, it can involve a lot of searching.
However, as Tessa said, don't give up yet!!
You may be able to determine her place of birth. It will be listed on naturalization documents (hers and/or her husband's). Also, it may be listed on her immigration arrival manifest (Ellis Island records). If that doesn't help, a search for other family members may help (chain migration - a sister follows a brother or father).
Good luck,
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

Return to “Locations in Italy”